Could nats be infecting my turtles with some kind of parasit

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I have these tiny little nats flying around all through my tiny little house. I don\'t know what or where theyr\'er coming from. They\'re not so many that they can be seen flying everywhere, just enough to be bothered by while sittimg here typing, whatching tv, eating a meal, or just relaxing. They seem to be atracted to moisture because they are more noticeable around sinks, plants, and the turt tanks. Has anybody exsperenced this sort of thind before? Could they be producing parasites in my turtles by living in sand that is for my turtles to bask in?
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Gnats??? Maybe it\'s fruit flies? They\'re common if you have fruit lying around. I forget, but do gnats fly? I\'d inspect your set and observeit for a while and see if it is the source or is it just attracting them. We\'ve got a lot of bugs in Taiwan, and the tanks attract a variety of flying bugs. I think they need water to drink and breed.

Cheers,
JJ:)
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I have been watching but really can\'t tell what the deal is with the nats. My concern was that they might be laying microscopic eggs or larvea or something to infect my turts. I don\'t have fruit laying around but I\'ve noticed that they are also in the dirt of my house plants. They are smaller than fruit flies I think. 2wan
Last edited by 2wan on Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandy

Hi
The odd time I get fruit flies or white flies
infesting my turtle tank. They look like little tiny wormy type things before they end
up hatching. I think they came in from all my house plants that just came in from being outside all summer long. I usually just clean my tank really thoroughly, and do it a few times more often than normal til the problem goes away...I don\'t believe my turtles have been made ill from these bugs yet anyway...

Mandy
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I think it\'s common that there are different types of flies around house plants. I doubt a fly feeding on plants would harm your turts. But I\'d try to clean up the tank and change the water and filter. It wouldn\'t hurt.

The water may be attracting the flies though. Maybe you can move the plants to another room or something.

Cheers,
JJ
l8or g8or

My daughter planted some grass indoors for her cats and it did get infested with flying bugs. I would suspect that is where they are coming from - not the turtles setup....
  • Information