New RES not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tarheel810

My wife found a baby RES crossing the road in front of our house this week. She rescued the turtle and we have now got him set up in a tank with basking area, filter, heater, etc. The turtle appears healthy and active; basking and swimming at various times. However, the turtle has yet to eat anything put in the tank. The water temp is about 82 so I don\'t think it is that. We have only had the turtle for three days, and we don\'t want to do anything to harm it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Give it some time to get use to it\'s surroundings and establish a home he can claim his. When he becomes familiar with all things in and around his new dwelling, it won\'t be long before he\'s begging for a bite every time he see\'s you. Unless he has some other ailments. Him being active right now is a good sign.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

The temp is a little high... I\'d keep it around 75F (2-3 plus/minus). Anyway, I agree with 2wan... let the little guy get used to captivity. Try feeding smelly foods - pellets shoud be the stapple diet, but it will take some time for the little guy to get used to it. He WILL eat. I have not seen a turt starve with food infront of it. Turs are like children, they like junk food - fatty foods. Try to avoid fatty foods from animal protein (cow, pork, poultry). You can try some dried fish or dreid shrimp as well. If available, you can try to give him some insects or worms.

Be patient, and he will eat.

Cheers,
JJ :)
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

If all else fails, put in some small goldfish in the tank...it might spark the turtle\'s natural \"hunting instinct\" .

Hope this helps :D
tarheel810

Thanks for the advice everyone. Turtle is now eating like a pig.
  • Information