Another Turtle concern from a newbie

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MagicSierra

Thanks to anyone who responded to my question about the shedding skin of my RES. I have another concern though. It hasn\'t eaten in over 3 weeks (the entire time I have had him). I waited for the baby tooth to come and now it has (been gone about a week)but it still doesn\'t seem to be eating. I give it the pellets for babies, carrots, apples, tried tuna, tried a wet food brand of turtle food. I\'ve read some other responses on her about water temp but I don\'t know what exactly I need to do. He lives in a turtle bowl with like the ramp in the middle so he can walk up out of the water. I have him under a basking lamp all day and I shut it off at night. I am scared that it is gonna starve. :-( What should I do?
Last edited by MagicSierra on Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Three weeks is a long time, but your turtle needs to eat soon. It won\'t die yet. Anyway, turtles are picky eaters like children. Turts like smelly foods and often veggie, fruit and pellets are ignored at first. Keep giving him one or two pellets a day (make sure they are small) - you don\'t want to waste pellets. Keep giving it to him and he will eat. I have not seen or heard of a turtle starve itself to death with pellets infront of him. The dried tuna didn\'t work? Hmmm. Keep trying dried fish or dried shrimp b/c it\'s smelly. Try a few insects or earthworms. I fnd veggie and fruits are not preferred choices of turts. The life smelly fatty foods. LOL

The water temp should be around 75 F and the basking temp should be around 85 F. Buy a cheap thermometer fromt he dollar store to measure.

Here is my advice on the death-bowl. It\'s too small. All turtle keepers will agree with me with these little turtle bowls. If money is an issue, buy or look around the hoem for a Rubbermaidj storage conatiner 20 gallons would be a good start. Often people use the guideline for every inch of turtle, you would give him 10 gallons of water. It\'s just a guideline. Bigger the better.

Read more from this website. It has soem basic information you should read up on. Be persistent and patitent. Your turtle is just adjusting to its new environment. It will eat in time.

Cheers,
JJ
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Hoe is he acting? Is he moving around much or sleeping all the time? Also, you really do need to get him into something safer than what he\'s in right now, but until you do be sure and change his water daily. The last little turtle I got didn\'t eat for a month and I thougt for sure he would die. Then one day he ate one pellet,another one the next day and slowly started eating more. Keep trying and keep his water clean.
Last edited by 2wan on Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicSierra

Hey everyone!

He ate !!! My turtle finally ate! He finally ate one of the earthworms i had been giving him and then today we tried a little raw meat and he loved that! I\'m so excited. As far as his living environment is concerned I was very sad to hear it referred to has a \"death bowl\" he seems content. I don\'t understand how if I put him in a 20 gallon tank he will be able to get out of the water if he wants. Also, how do you suggest keeping the water at a constant acceptable temp? Thanks for the help so far. I\'m sure I\'ll have a million more questions.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Thats great!! Now that you know he\'s ok, you\'ll want to make sure he stays that way. He\'ll be allright in that container for a little while as long as he doesn\'t get to cold and you keep the water clean for him. But before he gets big enough to escape, and he will, check out and read up on what a turtle needs to stay healthy and alive. You might find yourself getting quite creative for that little guy! I\'m happy the little guys eating now.
Honu
Level 1
Level 1

Honu
Last edited by Honu on Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information