what kind of water do you use?

Discussions about turtles.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i use pure drinking water. like the ones you get for 25 in front of grocery stores. i was wondering what you guys use
deesygirl

I used to just use tap water, but sometimes our water quality here stinks so I switched to purified or distilled. I think it is much better for them.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

speaking of water there is this oily looking film that gets on the top of the water. is that turtle urine or what?
deesygirl

My water usually stays very clear..... except for when I feed them chicken. I have tried rinsing it off first. I have also tried skimming the surface. Ha... right. Did make a good show. My kids thought I was nuts chasing all the oil spots around the tank. It is so gross that I just do a water change whenever I feed them chicken.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I use plain old chlorinated tap water. I have an 80 gallon tank and a bunch other smaller ones. I have read, I forget the source - sorry, that the chlorinated tap water is OK.

The oily film, eh! I got a tip from another keeper to use some white plain paper and skim the oil off. It works pretty well.

Cheers,
JJ
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

We use a filter. I was told by several people from th begining to make sure the water is filterd, or treated. We also put in dechlorinator just to be safe.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Grifter wrote:
speaking of water there is this oily looking film that gets on the top of the water. is that turtle urine or what?

Do you feed your turtles feeder fish in the tank? Some fish are fatty and that oily film comes from the fish. Or rather the fish guts once the turtles have ripped into them.
I had the same oily film before and couldn\'t figure it out until I realized it was coming from the fish.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i have decided the oily film is due to these \"rep-tiles\" i found at petco. they are slabs of stones that are made red somehow to look like desert stones. i noticed today when i changed the water that its coming off the rock and making the water oily. but i need them to weigh down my cave so until i find a mid size stone they have to stay
  • Information