Strange acting

Discussions about turtles.
cjajg

My son recieved an RES for his birthday a little over 2 months ago. Lately the RES seems to be acting strange, he floats on the top of the water & sleeps with his neck stretching way out, I often think he is dead. Maybe this is normal, I\'m not that familiar with turtles!
deesygirl

Sometimes RES will sleep-bask all streached out under the light. They usually streach out thier legs as well. Floating is usually not bad in its self either. Mine like to hide float in the plants. I have a few ?\'s for you though? What is the temp of the water in your tank? Do you have a good basking area with a UV light? Does your RES seem to be sneezing or is there any discharge coming from it\'s nose? The answer to these ?\'s will help figure if there is a problem.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Does your RES have all it needs? Basking area, UV light, basking light, filter and maybe heater. What is the temp of the water? It should be around ~75 F and the basking area should be ~85 F.

Is your RES eating, basking and sleeping normally? If he\'s not eating, basking and lseeping too much, these may be signs of sickness and/or concern.

Cheers,
JJ
cjajg

deesygirl wrote:

Sometimes RES will sleep-bask all streached out under the light. They usually streach out thier legs as well. Floating is usually not bad in its self either. Mine like to hide float in the plants. I have a few ?\'s for you though? What is the temp of the water in your tank? Do you have a good basking area with a UV light? Does your RES seem to be sneezing or is there any discharge coming from it\'s nose? The answer to these ?\'s will help figure if there is a problem.
The temperature is about 75, I do have a good baskeing area. He is not sneezing or anything & is eating fine. May just be this is how turtles act, I have not been around any before. Thanks for replying
  • Information