new red ear sliders

Discussions about turtles.
mike_landry99

I have 2 red ear sliders, that have an outside pond. I live in Houston, Tx. My question is in the winter, do the turtles have to hibernate or can you heat the water to a normal temperature for the turtles? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for the type of submersible heater that is good for outdoor ponds?
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

How cold does it get in Huston in winter? If it\'s not too cold, you might not need a heater. I mean at night the temp will go dow, but in the morning it will be hot, right? The turtles will come out and bask. I think it should be fine.

I have seen turtles live in 60 F range and they\'ll sleep more and don\'t come up for air as much. But once the weather is nice, 70 F range, they surface, bask and be mroe active. That\'s what I have seen.

Cheers,
JJ
mike_landry99

Wu-Gwei wrote:
How cold does it get in Huston in winter? If it\'s not too cold, you might not need a heater. I mean at night the temp will go dow, but in the morning it will be hot, right? The turtles will come out and bask. I think it should be fine.

I have seen turtles live in 60 F range and they\'ll sleep more and don\'t come up for air as much. But once the weather is nice, 70 F range, they surface, bask and be mroe active. That\'s what I have seen.

Cheers,
JJ
  • Information