Weakie

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ngocdiep

I need help. I have 3 red-eared turtles. 2 since they were babies and one was given to me full grown and I do not know the age. I two babies are females and are about 2 1/2 years old. One of the female is not eating and she is not acting her normal self. All she does is bask and she dig in the rocks all the time. She has not eaten for 2 weeks now. I have tried feeding her everything. I do not believe she is pregnant as she is still young. Is there any way of knowing for sure?
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

She\'s not pregnant. She\'s way too small and way too young.

Have you changed anything the environment? Did you add the new adult turt with the two smaller ones? If so, has she eaten since you added the adult? It\'s OK to add adults toJuvi\'s, but just make sure they are being picked on.

Aside from not eating, is she acting normally? Lethargy? Basking more? Swiming differently? Sleeps more? Any unusual behaviour?

Cheers,
JJ :)
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

How big is your female? Are you certain she is 2 1/2 years old? It is possible for females, in captivity, to reach sexual maturity at 3 1/2 yrs old. She would be about 5 1/2 inches. Wu-gwei is right though, try to figure out if there has been any major changes to her environment, which could lead to different behavior. Watch her very closely, as well as the other turtles to make sure there isn\'t any agression.
ngocdiep

Hello,

I have not changed the enviroment. The new turtle is with the two smaller one. Smaller meaning in age but they are about the same size. They are about 4 inches wide and 5-6 inches long. When I had the two babies two years ago, they were only 2 inches long. The full grown adult that was given to me was given to me 4x6 long.

She is not acting normal. She is usually aggresive. During feeding time, she would be the one that go after the food. Now, she just snift the food and does not eat at all. She just goes to the bottom and close her eyes while the other turtles are eating. Her swimming is the same. She bask the same time as the other turtle does but she sleeps more. She is not sneezing or showing any signs of sickness. She is just her active self and she is not eating. I need help as I am very concern.

Wu-Gwei wrote:

Have you changed anything the environment? Did you add the new adult turt with the two smaller ones? If so, has she eaten since you added the adult? It\'s OK to add adults toJuvi\'s, but just make sure they are being picked on.

Aside from not eating, is she acting normally? Lethargy? Basking more? Swiming differently? Sleeps more? Any unusual behaviour?

Cheers,
ngocdiep

She is not her active self and not eating.
ngocdiep wrote:
Hello,

I have not changed the enviroment. The new turtle is with the two smaller one. Smaller meaning in age but they are about the same size. They are about 4 inches wide and 5-6 inches long. When I had the two babies two years ago, they were only 2 inches long. The full grown adult that was given to me was given to me 4x6 long.

She is not acting normal. She is usually aggresive. During feeding time, she would be the one that go after the food. Now, she just snift the food and does not eat at all. She just goes to the bottom and close her eyes while the other turtles are eating. Her swimming is the same. She bask the same time as the other turtle does but she sleeps more. She is not sneezing or showing any signs of sickness. She is just NOT her active self and she is not eating. I need help as I am very concern.

Wu-Gwei wrote:

Cheers,
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe she\'s hibernating? I don\'t know, I\'ve never had that experience with my turtles (they just turned one in Oct.), but I\'ve read a lot on this site about hibernating, and how the turtles decrease their activity and don\'t eat as much.
If this matter still hasn\'t been settled, and it still concerns you, consider calling a vet & explaining the situation. Most vets will answer simple questions over the phone without charge.
Hope this helps :D
  • Information