Hibernating Red-Eared Slider

Discussions about turtles.
juan
Level 1
Level 1

My 2 year old Red-Eared Slider lives in an outside pond and has gone into hibernation around the end of October when the pond water temperature drops. It has been approximately two weeks since last seen. I may be moving this winter sometime and would like to move my RES indoors to a suitable environment. Question is: is it too late to bring him indoors or will the shock be too much?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m not sure you\'ll want to move him into a warm climate right now. It might shock him, possibly kill him. You can bring him in and keep him in a cold climate, simulating his outside hibernation. Some people recommend keeping a hibernating turtle in a refrigerator (of course with correct temp) but I don\'t know much about that, and I\'ve also heard it is not good to do. If I were you I would look up on a search engine about hibernation, google.com is very good. Another thing you will have to worry about is bringing him out of hibernation, this will be risky if it is not naturally done, so please find as much info as you can on the subject before you do anything.

I hope this is of some help to you. I am definetly no expert, wish I could help you out more.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Juan, where are you located? What\'s the temp? If you hibernate, there should be at least a foot of mud and leaves for the turt to burry himself.

I doubt it\'s in true hibernation yet. It\'s probably just slowed down it\'s metabolism and still comes up for air. During true hibrenation, it won\'t come up (very seldom).

If you don\'t wnat to hibernate, this is what I would do, try to find him in the pond and keep him cooled and slowly raise the temp.

Only let him hiberbnate if he\'s healthy, otherwise it\'s kind of dangerous if the turt is weak or sick.

The fridge hiberanation method, try www.tortoisetrust.org They always have great articles.
Here is a link to the article:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Refrigerator.htm

Cheers,
JJ :)
juan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I decided to pull my RES out of the pond and into the house tank - no problems so far. FYI - The air temp in Sacramento was in the low 70\'s, the pond water was in the mid 50\'s, the house tank water was in the mid 60\'s. There appeared to be only a couple inches of \"gunk\" in the pond and if it did surface during the winter I did not observe. The transition from pond to house tank was about 2 hours in a holding tank (white paint bucket) set in low angled sunshine. The RES appears to be adapting well, getting use to his new environment. I have not fed him yet, there are a few small plants in the tank if he feels like a quick salad. The house tank water temperature has risen to approximately 70-72 degrees (f).

ANOTHER QUESTION: I have not seen any question in this forum concerning feeding location for RESs. In the pond my RES was fed various pellets and sticks in the water. Do they ever eat on land or always in the water? If water only would they eat from a seperate water dish placed on land? Thanks!
  • Information