they are starting to bite me

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

it doesnt hurt, in fact sometimes i like it but they are still biting. my guess is they are mistaking me hands and fingers for food. they swim after my hand pretty fast. a couple are even trying to get at the bubbles in the filter and the numbers in the heater and the rocks which are too big for them to fit in their mouth. i even saw one of them bite at another turtle :mad:
any advice on how i should react to this?
deesygirl

Sweet Pea loves worms. When she sees fingers I know she thinks worms. (I know she is not very brite.) I just make sure they have lots of nibblers in the tank. Like carrot peels, spinach, and romain lettuce. It helps.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Deesygirl, NO SPINACH -- It can cause major problems with calcium absorption. It contains oxalic acid which combines any calcium to an insoluble salt. This can built up in the kidneys causing other problems.

Also, don\'t worry about the biting Grifter. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. My box turtle nibbles my toes when she wants attention.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

When in the water our turtles nibble on our fingers as well, mistaking them for food. Not feeling threatened by us at all. Its kinda cute. Be careful when they\'re out of the tank, though. Our turtles try to take fingers off. I know it would hurt if they caught a finger because when they bite down it makes a loud snapping noise. They are just totally different turtles out of the tank.
deesygirl

Turtlecrazed, Thank you. I have been feeding them spinach for a long time. 2 of my early books as well as one very old vet, said that was a great food for them. (Remember when they used to give you dried flies and a goldfish bowl and said that was all you needed) I never looked into it until your post.
Even though my babies are in excellent health, I am not going to give it to them any more. Why risk it?
Thanks again.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Oh god, I had forgotten about those dried flies. But, when i think about it, I can remember that awful smell. Thank goodness times have changed. :)
Amanda
Level 1
Level 1

I used to have a terrapin called Nipper (for obvious reasons) and I don\'t think he used to bite for food, he was just grumpy!! All of my terrapins have had a quick nibble now and then, at least it shows they have a healthy appetite even if it is for my fingers (or the vet\'s when they go!)
  • Information