unsure but looks like an egg

Discussions about turtles.
bubba
Level 1
Level 1

I received a red ear from my sones friend. I have noticed that there is something in the tank that resembles an egg. It is about the size of a pea and is off-white in color. I ahave been a turtle collector for about 20 years but this is my first live one. I\'ll take all the help and hints I can get!!
Thanks
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m not sure about the egg, but I did have a question about your turtle collecting. You said this is your first live one, do you collect dead/stuffed turtles then? Just kinda unclear on how you can collect turtles for 20 years and just a have a live one now. I\'m sure wu-gwei or lulumac now the answer to your egg question, just have to wait for their response.

Kudos on your first turtle
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Not to be discusting, but scoop the \"pod\" out and put it in a zip-lock bag. One of my rehab turtles had the same thing, and it was a mass of roundworms. It was soft, off-white and about the size of a small gumball. I\'d collect the \"sample\" and take it to the vet. Maybe it\'s not worms, but you definitely want to rule that out.
deesygirl

I think the collecting ment just that. I also collect turtle stuff. Yard decor pictures. Any thing with turtles on it.
bubba
Level 1
Level 1

turtlecrazed wrote:
Not to be discusting, but scoop the \"pod\" out and put it in a zip-lock bag. One of my rehab turtles had the same thing, and it was a mass of roundworms. It was soft, off-white and about the size of a small gumball. I\'d collect the \"sample\" and take it to the vet. Maybe it\'s not worms, but you definitely want to rule that out.
Do turltles get worms?
bubba
Level 1
Level 1

Dragoon27 wrote:
I\'m not sure about the egg, but I did have a question about your turtle collecting. You said this is your first live one, do you collect dead/stuffed turtles then? Just kinda unclear on how you can collect turtles for 20 years and just a have a live one now. I\'m sure wu-gwei or lulumac now the answer to your egg question, just have to wait for their response.

Kudos on your first turtle
Thanks for the response. My mom gave me a bean bag turtle when I was in eighth grade and that started it all. I have lots of glass, wooden and stuffed but not real stuffed ones. It\'s quite a conversation peice at my office. I have quite the collection there. Kids love them!! I\'m not sure I\'d like a real stuffed one...I\'d feel bad that someone killed it!
Thanks again
Bubba
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Bubba, yes turtles can get worms.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with turtlecrazed. Turtles do get worms, and a big sign of that is in their feces. Reptile vets can do a fecal test to kind if their are any parasites. If it were eggs, your turtles would be laying several more. They lay eggs in clutches, so she would be laying them on about 3-4 different occasions.

By the way, I\'ve also heard of people keeping the shell of a beloved pet trutle.
bubba
Level 1
Level 1

lulumac1 wrote:
I agree with turtlecrazed. Turtles do get worms, and a big sign of that is in their feces. Reptile vets can do a fecal test to kind if their are any parasites. If it were eggs, your turtles would be laying several more. They lay eggs in clutches, so she would be laying them on about 3-4 different occasions.

By the way, I\'ve also heard of people keeping the shell of a beloved pet trutle.
Thanks for responding! I have had a few more of these white things. I did scoop the one out from yesturday and it was real mushy, like mucus. Today when I got home from work there were a group of three white \"eggs\" together. They seemed to be attached and much firmer than the other ones. I will keep watch to see if there are anymore. I spoke with Jane from the pet store where my turtle originated and she said she had never seen anything like what I am seeing.
Also, my turtle isn\'t eating. Jane said this is normal for turtls to go days without food. What do you think about this?
...I guess now that I have a pet, I should rethink the stuffed real turtle hah?! By the way, what does turtle feces look like?
Thanks again!
Bubba
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I have been keeping up with your turtle egg problem and to me I think that you are right and that they are turtle eggs. Xspecially if three were clumped together. Turtle eggs are laied together they tend to stick to each other. Get a shoe box or and incubater and try to hatch them. If you use a shoe box or any kind of box make sure that you burry them atleast6 inches and keep the temp of the box between 78-84\'F. In about a month you should start to see these amazing little creatures evolve from he dirt.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

bubba, the \"pod\" will be mushy and mucousy like you described. Please take a fecal sample to your vet and find out if this indeed worms, which i\'m pretty certain it is, and have it treated. Parasites can cause many problems with your turtle, loss of appetite being one of them.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

If this continues though it might possibly be what turtlecrazed is talking about. Their feces is the brown stuff that they excrete out of their vent. You\'ll know it when you see it. I would take a sample of that asap to a reptile vet just to be certain. It probably would be the best thing to consult a vet anyway, just to be safe!!
Last edited by lulumac1 on Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubba
Level 1
Level 1

[/quote]
  • Information