Water Condesation

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

Just the past 2 days since I changed my tank set up. I\'ve noticed both times I wake up in the morning there is water condensation/fog on half the inside tank. To clarify, I have a 20 gallon tank with the top closure being half glass and the other half a metal mesh guard that slides out for cleaning the tank. All the fog is is under the glass top part of the tank. Its kinda annoying having to wipe out all the condesation of the inside of the tank. I have smooth river rocks on the bottom of the tank with a basking rock/cave in the back middle of the tank, if that helps visualize my setup. Any help?

PS: I leave my UV heat bulb on for 10-12 hours a day, and turn it off at night. No nightlight. If that added info helps.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Do you have a water heater? What does the temperature reach at night? It could be that the temerature outside the tank drops lower at night and the temerature in the tank remains warm, producing condensation, especially since you have the glass cover. With the water heater, its kind of a humidity effect because of the heated water evaporating. Do you have to refill water ever. I know in my tank I do, but I don\'t have a cover so it evaporates into the air. I wouldn\'t worry about it. Its really just more annoying than anything.

Hope that helps out a little!:)
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

It\'s normal because the warmer air inside the tank can\'t escape so it condenses under the glass side and screen/mesh side is clear.

I don\'t think there\'s anything you can do about it except make your tank & water temp same as room temp, but I don\'t know if you want that or not. :)

Cheers,
JJ :)
  • Information