Advice on pond building 4 RES

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

I live in the central valley of california, where it rarely gets below freezing, and would like to build a pond exclusively for my favorite things. My 4 sliders! But before I do I was wondering, because of the \"one thing on his mind\" male in the bunch, if I should try to build a seperate area for him? I mean what a hassel, but if he won\'t leave the girls alone will it be a bad thing for the females healthwise? Cause he\'s quick with himself and got to my oldest RES while she had 13 or so eggs already inside. Afterwhich caused pretty serious problems for her, including several visits to the vet. Even though she\'s much bigger than him, and she acts like she hates him or is afraid of him now, I keep them seperate at all times except while feeding. He lives with the other two girls and tries messing around constantly but doesn\'t get all crazed with lust like he does with the other one. Would he maybe mellow out if they all lived in a pond with much more room to wond in? They already live in descent sized homes now. 150 and 65 gallons.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

In a bigger pond with more places to hide, there will be less interaction. Just make sure oyu have places to hide as well. But with that said, I have seen a male follow a female up and down a 40 yard pond for over 6 weeks! Some guys are pretty persistent. But in genearl, the bigger the habitat, the less conflicts or problems.

But I think 1 male for 3 females is fine. Good ratio and not much to worry about. It\'s normal, Male turts are like that. If you had the opposite ratio, you\'d have soem problems.

Cheers,
JJ :)
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks JJ for responding. Maybe you could help me with this question. Why is he so all over one turtle, want\'s to be all over one of the other turtles but can\'t get over his shyness. And won\'t have a thing too do with the third turtle even though she seems to be flirting with him all the time. I think I know my turtles pretty well cause I spend hours at a time just watching them. I mean sometimes I won\'t even answer the door or phone cause I\'d rather spend the time with my RES. I aquired the male just over 6 years ago and wasn\'t real happy about having to take care of a stupid turtle because it\'s owner was doing stupid things and went to prison. I didn\'t know a thing about turtles and then when I started finding out what kind of care they required, I was even more unhappy about it! He was just a little guy back then and was all by himself, except for me. And then one day while I was watching him swim around, he came up to the glass and started doing this weird thing with his front feet in front of me. I thought he was trying to get something of his face maybe, cause I\'d never seen him do that before. But he started doing that every time I\'d take a moment to sit down in front of his tank to see what he was doing. I hadn\'t really taken the time to learn much more than the bare basics on keeping a turtle alive. So I thought, gee, he\'s so bored in there he\'s trying to play with me! Poor guy, I guest it couldn\'t be that much trouble to take care of another turtle, so I went and got him a friend!! And he\'s been trying to play with his best friend ever since! Better her than me!! TEE HEE! Then I started feeling sorry for her and got him a couple more friends but they turned out to be better my friends than his. Maybe he thinks he just can\'t love another like he does his first lover! Their all equal in my life, I love them all the same. I\'m 2wan and I\'m gone
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

2Wan, I think we\'ll get along fine. I spend hours at the man-made pond by my home. There are over 20 turts in there, mostly RES. Romeo, the little 5\" male RES has been following Juliet, the 8\" female RES up and down the 40 yard pond for weeks! I don\'t know why he does that. Romeo is the biggest male and there aren\'t any other males (that I can ID). Almost all the mature RES are females. Romeo could choose, Queen, a huge 10\" female RES, Carpet 7\" female RES, Hamburger 7\" female RES, and Beauty 6\" female RES. These are the biggest females in the pond. But Romeo would not. He would ignore my pellets! Juliet would eat, but he just stares her down and flicker his claws (Titillation).

I don\'t have an answer, maybe a herp RES expert may know why a male RES often follows one female. Sorry, couldn\'t give you an answer. But as I said, it\'s good taht you have a couple of females and one male only. Imagine the other way around? Yikes.

Cheers,
JJ
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Cheers to you too, JJ! Without a doubt, I will enjoy talking turt with you. I love your turtles too now. Something about those names. I can just see Romeo, wooing all over Juliet, trying to get her to see face to face. While he\'s staring her down, thinking he\'s looking good, she\'s thinking \'good, just keep on looking so I can eat all the food!!\' I cracked up over your turtles names. Especially \"Hamburger\". I\'m still rolling!! How long have you had all of them? Also, did you create the pond or was it already there? Do you know of a good site I can check out the \'how to\'s on? I\'ll probably get the munchies everytime I hangout with my hamburgers now.:-)
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

The pond is in a public park and I am trying to clean it up. I named the female RES Hambuger b/c she is thick. I reminded me of a Big Mac or a Whopper.... LOL!!! Ha ha ha.

I\'m trying to buy a digital camera and when I do, I\'ll post some pcitures for you.

In the meanwhile, I visit the pond every second day to clean and feed the turts. I have to catch Juliet, b/c she has a bad case of shell rot. Her shell is all white. And I want to catch, Sunshine, 6\" female RES, swimming lop-sided, which is a sign of respiratory infection. Then the third turtle I want to rescue is a 5\" female Chinese Golden Thread whom I\'ve named Slimey cause her shell is covered with algae and she has a skin infection.

I love watching those turts. I spend hours on the weekend watching them all. My wife drops by to bring me some food and keep me company. Bless that woman.

Anyway, I trying clean up the pond and get city hall to make some changes.

Cheers,
JJ
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

What do you do after you catch them, do you take them home untill they are well? How did they get in the pond, did the park people put them there? Won\'t they all get sick from each other? Good thing there\'s only one male. And good for you, for helping the turts. How do you catch them anyways, with a net and a fish? he-he
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m living in Taiwan right now and the turts are abandoned by their owners. I have seen people dump fish in their as well. It\'s a man-made pond with no flowing water.

I have caught several already, just for fun, but I put them back. I feed them regularly and when they come to feed I sit close to the edge. When they turn their backs to me, I pick it up.

When I catch Juliet, Sunshine and Slimey, I will treat the shell rot and skin infection. I\'m not sure what to do about the respiratory infection. I will call a vet to consult. These three are sick and need attention. I have seen one dead turtle in there already and numerous fish.

As for getting sick, the pond is full of scum and is a cess pool. I bet you more turts are sick, but I just can\'t tell.

There\'s two males that I have identified. There may be younger ones, but it\'s too hard to tell with RES when they are young.

I\'m going to the pond tomorrow... wish me luck. I\'ll keep you posted.

Cheers,
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Good luck and enjoy the week-end JJ. I wish there was some way I cuold rescue a couple of them myself, before they all get sick. That\'s just horrible about their living conditions. What is it like in taiwan, are there any other lakes or streams or someplace eles they could go? Is taiwan a natural habitat for water turtles? Good luck with them JJ, maybe your voice will make a change. Please keep me posted, and I hope someday I\'ll get to see a picture of Queen. I\'ve never seen a 10 inch res. Tr2, my largest, is 8 and ahalf. 2wan gone, weekend bound.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I went Satruday morning, but I was not able to catch Sunshine.... so close. Juliet and Slimey did not show up. Hmmm. I had to attend a Sports Day on Sunday, so I didn\'t get a chance to go.

Taiwan has the native - Chinese Golden-Thread (Ocadia sinensis). They\'rein the streams here. Taiwan is mountainous and had a lot of wildlife, but the country is over populated. Imagine 25 million people living on an island 350 miles long? Most of which is mountainous. I don\'t think it would be good to release the RES into the local streams, even though they are beikng dumped there. I\'d rather have RES in man-made ponds, but these ponds need to be maintained with clean water, source of food and basking area.

The weather is getting colder and that will not be good for their immune systems. Plus the turts don\'t come up to feed or for air as much when the temp drops.

I will keep you posted. I\'m slowly shopping for a camera, but work is so busy right now. I will be leaving Taiwan at the end of the year. I have a lot of work to complete.

But before I go, I want this pond to be cleaned up.

Cheers,
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

Wu-Gwei wrote:
I went Satruday morning, but I was not able to catch Sunshine.... so close. Juliet and Slimey did not show up. Hmmm. I had to attend a Sports Day on Sunday, so I didn\'t get a chance to go.

Taiwan has the native - Chinese Golden-Thread (Ocadia sinensis). They\'rein the streams here. Taiwan is mountainous and had a lot of wildlife, but the country is over populated. Imagine 25 million people living on an island 350 miles long? Most of which is mountainous. I don\'t think it would be good to release the RES into the local streams, even though they are beikng dumped there. I\'d rather have RES in man-made ponds, but these ponds need to be maintained with clean water, source of food and basking area.

The weather is getting colder and that will not be good for their immune systems. Plus the turts don\'t come up to feed or for air as much when the temp drops.

I will keep you posted. I\'m slowly shopping for a camera, but work is so busy right now. I will be leaving Taiwan at the end of the year. I have a lot of work to complete.

But before I go, I want this pond to be cleaned up.

Cheers,
JJ, are all of the turtles sick? Is it possible for me to obtain one or two, somehow? I\'ve heard of people mailing turtles but taiwon might be to far. I have the room, time, equiptment, and love for a couple more turtles. I\'m not interested in buying any more when there are so many extra/unwanted ones out there. The end of the year will be here soon. I wish you much success with the clean-up of the pond. Good luck my friend!! Let me know if what I asked is possible. In the meantime I will continue to read the good advice you bring to this forum.

2wan wrote:
I live in the central valley of california, where it rarely gets below freezing, and would like to build a pond exclusively for my favorite things. My 4 sliders! But before I do I was wondering, because of the \"one thing on his mind\" male in the bunch, if I should try to build a seperate area for him? I mean what a hassel, but if he won\'t leave the girls alone will it be a bad thing for the females healthwise? Cause he\'s quick with himself and got to my oldest RES while she had 13 or so eggs already inside. Afterwhich caused pretty serious problems for her, including several visits to the vet. Even though she\'s much bigger than him, and she acts like she hates him or is afraid of him now, I keep them seperate at all times except while feeding. He lives with the other two girls and tries messing around constantly but doesn\'t get all crazed with lust like he does with the other one. Would he maybe mellow out if they all lived in a pond with much more room to wond in? They already live in descent sized homes now. 150 and 65 gallons.
  • Information