diseses?

Discussions about turtles.
gina311
Level 2
Level 2

what are the the symtoms for soft shell?
are there any other diseses that are comon for RES?
dont worry my turtles are fine and happy!
just wondering

gina*
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Soft shell is just when their shell is soft. You shouldn\'t be able to push down on it and have it move or cave in at all. Improper calcium and uvb light which lead to D3 deficiency. Shell rot on the other hand is a fungus or a bacteria that infects the shell. It can get nasty looking. You might see white patches or spots of some sort. For example my with new turtle, I have had my eye on a small white spot on his shell since we got him (didn\'t see til I got him home). It has increased slightly in size. It appears to go into the shell, like it is eating away at it. Does that make sense? I am trying to find Nolvosan for him to treat him.

Anyway, the main disease they carry is of course salomenella, which is from improper care, (ie. like in pet stores). This is when the water is too cold, they aren\'t eating right, they aren\'t basking properly, you get the idea. They carry this in there feces, so I think usually its undetectable, not completely sure though. Other problems would be resperatory infections, and swollen eyes.

I think that covers it for the most part. The majority of the disease and sickness that turtles get is due to improper care or when something in their environment isn\'t quite right. Whether its cold, dirty water, or wrong lighting, etc. Maybe someone elso knows, but I haven\'t heard of any other types of diseases that they can get that isn\'t due to one of these factors.

Man I\'m sorry I wrote so much sometimes I just can\'t stop myself, I just keep going, and going and..... lol:)
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

it seems like 5 of my turtles dont bask. does this mean they are more susceptible to salmonella?
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m not an expert, but i don\'t think it would just be from not basking enough. They would probably be more subseptable to shell rot.

Its mainly when they are kept in bad conditions. Their immune system is down, so they are more subseptable to any disease. That wouldn\'t just be from not basking, it would also be from low water temp, dirty water, improper lighting (no basking and/or uvb), not eating, etc. This is when they can get really sick. Another cause is if they are wild caught, which several turtles, even ones in pet store are. They can carry diseases with them.

How long have you had your turtles? If you haven\'t had them that long then its ok, they will eventually bask. If not make sure they can easily access it, its big enough to accomodate them, it is warm (warmer than the water) otherwise they won\'t want to come out. If I were you I would only really worry about their shell, but also making sure that you still wash your hands after handling them, because you never know.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by Wu-Gwei on Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

[/quote]
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by Wu-Gwei on Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

You know what you\'re right Wu-Gwei. I did write that it is from improper care , and I was wrong. I knew how it was carried as I wrote, and is usually undetectable. I realize that most sal. is naturally carried, however there are other factors in the contamination. Diet is a big factor, especially raw meats such as chicken. Also exposure. Turtles exposed to water in which another turtle has carried sal, will likely carry it themselves. Therefore turtles cramped together in flea markets for example, most likely all carry sal. I will, however, still stick by the fact that when they are improperly cared for their immune system will go down, allowing them to become subseptable to disease, wouldn\'t you agree.

I\'m sorry I didn\'t write that correctly, and sorry for the confusion. Sorry if I came off at all rude Wu-Gwei. I think everything is clarified now.:)
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Everything is cool. It\'s hard sometimes b/c we write like we are talking and it\'s not clear sometimes.

I agree that poor condititions and cramped turts will spred disease and make them A LOT more susceptable.

Cheers,
JJ
  • Information