Is she exersizing or what?

Discussions about turtles.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

My slider took about a week to lay 13 eggs here and there. That was over a month ago now, but she is acting in a way that I have never seen before. I\'ve had her for almost 6 years and because she had such a difficult time laying her eggs this time I\'ve kept her seperated from her boyfriend, who I think she hates now anyways. What she\'s doing is spending her day sliding around in the sand at the bottom of the tank and using her hind legs like she does when she is burying eggs. And when she\'s not doing that she\'s climing in and out of her basking erea like she\'s bi-polar or something and can\'t stay still. Even right now, at almost 1:00am, all the other turtles are resting and she\'s busy pretending to bury eggs at the bottom of her tank!? She does this every day!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe she has more eggs to lay? Turtles may lay several clutches. Try giving her a place to lay her eggs.

Cheers,
JJ
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

You were right, she had a couple more eggs. This morning when I got up they were in the tank. Why didn\'t she dig a hole in the basking beach she has like she always has in the past? Do you think she thinks that there wasn\'t enough room because she had already buried eggs tere last month?
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

what do they lay their eggs in if there is no sand?
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

There is plenty of sand for egg laying. It\'s a 150 gallon tank that is filled halfway to the top with water. It\'s 4 feet long and 18 inches wide. I put a piece of glass inside to seperate the basking/egg laying place from the water. That area is 1 foot by 18 inches and 9 inches with sand. That\'s where the eggs have always been buried. All the way down to the bottom.
  • Information