How do I get my turtle to eat other things?

Discussions about turtles.
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Marty (my RES) wont eat anything else but turtle pellets and occasional feeder fish. I have brought him a seperate container to feed him in. I put different veggies and shrimp (the frozen kind you buy at a pet store) and he doesnt eat any of it! He does eat my sucker fishs algae wafers though. Silly turtle he gulps them down. I want him to have a balanced diet. Will he ever eat veggies? Is it because his previous owner only feed him pellets? Please help me. Thanks a lot!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles are like kids. They don\'t like trying new foods or like veggies. If your turtle was fed pellets, it will take some time for him to change. It can be done. I takes patience, perserverance and attitude.

My RES did not eat veggies until they were three. I didn\'t know how to get them to eat the veggies., but I knew they should.

This is what I did.
Day 1: Veggie
Day 2: Veggie
Day 3: Veggie
Day 4: Pellets
And repeat. It will take a couple of weeks, but your RES will eat the veggie. Be tough and persistent. Don\'t spoil your turts anymore! lol!

You can also try anacharis, an aquarium plant RES love. Dandelion leaves, kale, collards, mustard greens, are excellent veggies with good Ca/P ratio. Outer leaves of cabbage ain\'t bad either. But not iceberg. It\'s next to useless.

They can go for a week without eating and not be harmful. Be tough and after a few weeks, they\'ll eat. :)

Good luck and be tough!

Cheers,
JJ
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

i spoiled my kids with dried shrimp and i had to be tough and not give them shrimp for almost a week before they learned to eat the pellets
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the advise. I will try to be tough and feed him some veggies. He just looks so cute when he gets to the side of his tank and looks at me waiting for his food. But he needs veggies so I will try to give him tough love. Thanks a lot guys!
  • Information