Turtle not basking

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I just got a new turtle, but he doesn\'t seem to want to bask. I had problems getting the basking area set up. I now have a tall flower pot filled with gravel. I also have a piece of wood sitting next to the pot. I have the water filled just to the edge of the pot. He tried once, and was not able to get onto it, and has not tried since. Is he still trying to adjust(I\'ve had him for about 5 days)? I was worried, so I picked him up and put him on the basking area, but he got scared and got into the water. Should turtles be able to climb fairly well?
deesygirl

HI there and congrats on your new addition.

First, I would try to make it easier for your turtle to get to his basking spot. Pet stores carry driftwood imitations that work really well for some people. I used one in the baby tank for a while.

Sometimes the turtles feel exposed in a basking area. That is probably why he scurried back in the water. Give him time to adjust to you and his new home.
Best of luck
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Deesygirl is right. Give him time to adjust. He\'s probably scared, and just trying to get used to his new environment. If he does bask, he might not when your around. Give him some space at first. Mine always jumped off when I first got them if I would walk close to the tank. They still do it from time to time, but now its cause they think I\'m going to feed them when I come up to the tank. lol
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I had to try several different basking areas for my RES when I first got him. He also wouldn\'t bask. He finally has a basking area that he can get up to easily. Also, like the others mentioned, he is just getting use to you and his new environment. Marty (my RES) feels more comfartable around me and his environment now and basks more often. Good Luck!
  • Information