turtles and college

Discussions about turtles.
agent_spacemonkey

Hi all! I am a college student thinking about owning a RES or the one that is like the RES but without the red part. Any way...I\'m going to be doing some flying in an airplane back and forth. I\'m wondering if it would be so bad to be flying from D.C. to Washington state (vice versa)? Would it hurt the turtle? It\'s only for the major holidays...and I\'ve asked Northwest Airlines and they say that they couldn\'t take turtles (even small ones) on their planes \'cause they worry that they will die. Does anyone know which airlines will allow a turtle like the RES and the one like the RES on the plane?
Thanks so much!

agent_spacemonkey
\"it\'s mortis, the safty tortis...he always plays it safe!\" :p
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

The turtles are fine on the plane, but it would not be good to fly with it during the colder months (i.e. X-mas).

Some airlines will allow reptiles in cargo, but not on board in the cabin (cats&dogs are allowed). You must check with all the airlines. It\'s a real pain. Turtles and reptiles are descriminated against. So unfair!!!

It\'s not the best time to own a turtle - when you\'re in college so far away. My advice it would be best to wait until you graduate.

Put the turts needs before your desires. Learn more about them during these few years. I know I wish I had learned more before I got into keeping turtles. You know it\'s at least a 20 year commitment. Are you ready for that!

Way too many people buy and dump the turtles into local streams and ponds where they overtake the native species.

Anyway, think about it and check the airlines. Oh, BTW, turtles can survive a week without food no problem. I have heard of turtles not eating for months, but that is not good for them, since they\'re buring their muscle stores.

Cheers,
JJ
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

I was once a flight attendant and as far as taking your turtle with you most airlines will allow it as long as it is in a carrier and you dont take it out during flight, it also has to stay in front of you under the seat. At least this was our rules for traveling with pets.I too am now a college student and fly or drive home. I suggest leaving them at your college just find someone to watch after them when you are gone. Marty (my RES) doesn\'t like to travel and gets all squirmy. Like JJ said it is not good to travel when it is cold with turtle for they have to stay in warm enviroments. If its only for a short trip home you can by your turtle feeder fish to munch on when your gone! Marty loves Guppies! Good Luck!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Val_smiles...

I have checked with all the major airlines and officially they do not allow reptiles on board. I know I can sneak it on, but I am afraid of the airport secutrity staff since 9-11.

What do you think will result if an airline discovered that I had brought a reptile on board? I don\'t think it is a law, but just a regulation.

It\'s crazy these days after 9-11. I wouldn\'t try to sneak it on. I am just frustrated by the airlines\', double standard. Cats & Dogs get all the good treatment, while reptiles are treated like the plague! Argg!

Cheers,
JJ
Val_smiles
Level 2
Level 2

J.J.
How frustrating the airports are after 9-11.
Thats the day I quite of course. Before I believe you could have snuck it on fine without any complaints but like you said secrutity is tight. I think it all depends on what airport you are on as far as senaking it on goes. Major airports probably not. I wouldnt risk it, it would stink if you were leaving and they wouldnt let you take your turtle. That would put you and the turtle out of luck. Maybe we should push airlines on this subject. Airlines dont like to see unhappy customers expecially if you are a frequent flyer! If a large amount of people complained over and over maybe we can get this rule changed for all turtle lovers!
agent_spacemonkey

thanks for you input guys! i\'m still thinking about it...i mean i\'m a senior now and so it wouldn\'t be like i would be moving back and forth a whole lot. i don\'t know...think...think...think. it\'s a big decision and besides i\'ve got my two african dwarf frogs (ADFs) to keep me company right now...i think they will help me to decide.:) to tell you the truth...i would never desert my turtle (if i had one) that is just down right mean to do.

agent_spacemonkey
\"crazy-crazy...that\'s me!\":p
  • Information