Yet another problem...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

One of my turtles has a swollen eye.
I looked it up in the first aid section but I don\'t know what it is yet. It\'s just one eye and it\'s only slightly swollen. Vitamin A deficency? I think it is. She never eats the vitamin A food and my other turtle does and he\'s fine. They don\'t even live in the water anymore so how could it be water problems?
deesygirl

If your turtle needs Vit A you can buy Reptosol. It is a vit suppliment for reptiles. I give mine 2-3 drops directly in the mouth 2 times a week.
As for the swollen eyes. Tank had the same problem for a while. His eye got scratched. Use some turtle eye rinse then cover the eye with neosporine. What kind of turtle do you have? If it is a RES,keep her out of the wet tank. She needs to stay in a dry tank until she clears up. This may take a week or so. Make sure that you put her in the water twice a day for 30 min. Make sure that you feed her in the water. Water turtles have a hard time swallowing food unless they are in water.
If you have water turtles that will not go in the water you need to check your water temp and quality.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I checked again today and the same eye is still swollen. They are both in a dry tank because of something else. It probably is swollen because I had a party a few days ago and everyone was picking them up and dropping them omg I waz so mad I could have given them a swollen eye! Anyways I may try both if it gets any worse since I don\'t know what caused it...unless it\'s harmfull in someway. I don\'t really see why it would be but for now I\'ll just watch it. (I won\'t be able to buy anything until the weekend)
deesygirl

Well I think you may have just answered a question you posted under general. You were concerened that you lost your turtles trust, well if you let people pick them up and handle them carelessly that is probably your answer.
As for the eye it might not hurt to keep watch it for a few days. If it starts to get worse or if there is redness or a dry white crust, please do not wait.
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Chances are some dope from the party injured it. I doubt it is a Vit-A deficiency. Keep a close eye on him. Keeping hom out of water will help. Make sure the eye is clean. If he\'s getting better, fine. But if he gets worse, don\'t hesitate to take him to a reptile vet (if you can afford it).

Hope your turt gets better.

Cheers,
JJ
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

It looks the same as it did on Sunday. I dumped all the water out so it could dry. I think the dryness is causing it to close up and when I put her in water it looks normal again. :) I\'m sure it will get better.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Could be the water situation. I know several species of turtles will manifest symptoms of eye infections in response to low humidity.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

So I should put them back in the water now???
(Yay! My turtles shell is healed enough so I can put him back!!!:):):)...I never did get my hands on some Novalsan:()
  • Information