RES twitching

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Quote:
I recently purchased a new addition to my slidder tank. She is about 3-4 years old and appeared to be in great health. 2 days later she is acting very strange. She stays under the basking light most of the time. Often her head drops into the water. She has also developed a twitch. Her head twiches side to side. Sometimes it seems as though she gets flusterated and uses her feet to wipe at her face. She still has a very good appetite and takes her vitamins. If anyone has ever heard of this I would love to hear from you. (We no longer have a vet in town that works with exotics.)

QUESTION: Is it normal? Because mine start acting the same way!!!
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!
This happened with my little turtle a while ago, and I think it\'s normal. It doesn\'t seem to hurt the turtles or be due to any kind of health reasons. Mine stopped twitching after a few days & went back to acting normal.
Dottie
Level 2
Level 2

This happens to my turtle once in a while too. When she basks in sunlight, after a while she will twitch her head and use her front feet to wipe her whole face. I find this to be normal because she\'s been perfectly healthy for 8 years and going strong.

I think when my turtle does this, something is in her face and shes just wiping it off.
I hope this helps.
turtlecrazed
Level 3
Level 3

Check your turtles closely and make sure their are no external parasites. I\'ve never seen a turtle twitch, so I don\'t really know what to tell you. But if your new turtle is doing it and then your older turtles started doing it, it would lead me to think maybe the new turtle had a parasite that she has passed to your existing turtles. I dunno. I\'m stumped.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

maybe they\'re breathing deeply. Thats what my turtles do after they\'ve had a little run out of their enclosure:) It might not be the same thing though.
2wan
Level 2
Level 2

My water turtles do that too. I always thought it was from getting dried out after being under the lamp. Thier skin gets a little flaky and when they twitch I think they are just trying to shake off dead skin.
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all your informations. I did not spot any parasite or them and i clean their tanks regularly. I even use hot water to wash their tanks(they are not in it). :)
  • Information