What is better as a basking spot.

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.

Dear Allturtles users;
I was wondering which is better as a basking spot,a rock or a floating raft?I thought that a raft was best because the depth of the water is not limited to the size of the rock.But,I might be mistaken (which I rarely am).
'till someone ansers me
Braydon Spraggs ([email protected])
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i would think a rock
goggles
Level 1
Level 1

rocks are better.... you shouldn't worry about the depth of the water. As a matter of fact, shallow water might be better, especially for small turtles because they don't have to strain themselves to pop their heads out and breathe.
Bluegator999

If you are going to use a rock,I would be worried about the rock heating up to much, and harming your turtle.I have made a beach like taryn has on this site, and I also have a piece of driftwood jutting out onto the beach, so they can climb on it and bask.I reccomend that you look at the set up on this site.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I use a rock myself. Actually I have a half dozen rocks! But that is okay. It's just however you perfer it. Beach is a good way to go. Turtles are pretty smart little critters. My water is fairly deep. They need the excerise. When mine tire out they climb upon the rocks. Of course if you have a beach set up I guess they could go there also. Just use your judgment and what you would think best for them.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

I'm thinking rock. It doesn't really matter the depth of the water. By the way the rock needs to be on a "basking spot".
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

Unless you have an extremely deep tank, get a rock. A raft might be difficult for a tired turtle to climb onto if it drifts around.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

my tank is really deep. their basking spot is made up of rocks and dirt. they much prefer the rocks. they love to stretch out and sun themselves. also having a good system where they climb is a wonderful idea. turtles have to be strong climbers for reasons yet my vet has to explain, but it strengthns their leg muscles. when they cannot climb it means they usually are weak and need a vitamin replacement. this is from talking with my vet.....can't wait to start school myself and then i can go into deeper explaination with you guys. =o)
Jason
Level 1
Level 1

What i would do is what i saw the people at the pet store do. in there glass tank they had peice of glass and cut it to fit the tank right above the water level. the chalked it to hte sides and glued about an inch of pebbles on it(small ones)it was about a 4th of the tank.This i rekamend for deep water but i use a huge rock.

I have a rock and drift wood. But i think i will make a bigger beachy area. i have a rectangle rock under little pebles, then a nother almost to the suface, then 1 abuve the surface. i have small turtles and i think my water might be to deep. how deep should the water be? like two inches???
l8or_g8or
Level 2
Level 2

In Joes tank, I used 100% silicone and put a peice of plexiglass at one end, on a slant. Then I put silicone over the entire top and poured aquarium gravel over top and pushed it all down into the silicone. When it was completly dried, I brushed off all the loose stones. She hasn\'t gotten to use it yet, because I am still in the process of making her waterfall.
l8or_g8or
Level 2
Level 2

One other thing.... I like the idea of something being hooked to the side, that way it doesn\'t take up any of the swimming area like big rocks do.- just my opion.
DJ_Mo
Level 1
Level 1

I am a fairly new RES owner, but my first setup was a beach (made of pebbles) and a fake plastic cave. It looked pretty good, but my turtle never came out to bask on it...I waited for weeks..and still nothing.

So after reviewing so much information on this website, and looking at other owner setups. I decided to use a slab of rock instead (a very dark slab rock) I founds them at a local rock/slab wholesaler..the dude gave me the little pieces. I stacked the rocks on top of each other, and placed the nicest darkest looking slab on the top, with another smaller slab in front of it..to create a stepping stone. The setup was a success ! My RES loved it..and always basks on it now !! I will post pictures soon :)
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

I originally had a piece of plexi siliconed in my tank but I guess the heat got to it...I now have plastic rocks that hook together like legos siliconed to the back and the side of my tank...it\'s actually really sturdy and my babies love it ...they can climb and have more space to swim in!!<<they really only used the rocks before any way:not so much the beach>>
Last edited by Heather on Tue May 14, 2002 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

I decided to use bricks to make a basking spot.It works well.I will try to put some pics on my site soon

they make \"hook rocks\" so if you dont want to take up swimming room. look at pet stores and pet magizines. they are kinda expencive though. so you might want to look around and prie check :eyes
leopard92
Level 1
Level 1

i would go down to the hard wear store and buy some plexcie glass and mak a back words L shape that fit in one side of the tank then get some 100%silicone to put on all the sides of then plexcie glass so it wont leak let it dry for 24 hours then fell with water and look for leaks if there is one drain the water and put more silicone if there is no leaks just fell it with dirt \'rock or what ever you what then u have anice basking area a a un water hid spot (under the back words L)
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

thanks i decided to use bricks.
MalayanGirl
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle doesn\'t like the floating raft. she wrestles with it to get on top and when she finally does, she flops back in to the water. I use slate.
sharilynne

i used a curved piece of wood....got it at the petstore....its half underwater and anchored to a rock underneath it and another piece of driftwood to help her get on top.....so in addition to being a nice basking spot...she\'s got a lil semi-underwater cave she can hide in when she needs to.

i also have another big rock at the other end of the tank she uses to help get her head outta water, and i put the heater like about 2 inches under the water level, cuz she likes to hang on to it for some reason and pop her head outta the water.
[email protected]

I went to the pet store today to get a tank and all the stuff for my turtels my neighbors gave me,(1 RES, and a Missippi map)aka Katie and One eyed williy (williy is blind in one eye). and the guy was like yea you can use sand or rocks, and suggested sand,BAD IDEA. in the morning im going to get some pebbels to use, and return half the stuff i got. allmost all of it was used (posing to be new) or didnt work at all. so if anyone has any usefull tips on what i should use for the bottom of the tank and a good island please tell me or e-mail me at
[email protected]
Thanks
Adam
[email protected]

I went to the pet store today to get a tank and all the stuff for my turtels my neighbors gave me,(1 RES, and a Missippi map)aka Katie and One eyed williy (williy is blind in one eye). and the guy was like yea you can use sand or rocks, and suggested sand,BAD IDEA. in the morning im going to get some pebbels to use, and return half the stuff i got. allmost all of it was used (posing to be new) or didnt work at all. so if anyone has any usefull tips on what i should use for the bottom of the tank and a good island please tell me or e-mail me at
[email protected]
Thanks
Adam
human177
Level 3
Level 3

I used to collect crystal rocks and stuff, now I piled them up to make a basking spot. One problem though, they\'re small so I had to take in a few large ones to make sure the pile wouldn\'t collapse.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

I was using gravel, but my filter was sucking in more air than water so I had to place something bigger in so I could raise the water above the filter level. I went to petsmart and purchased a resin rockpile for like 15.00 looks something like
______
___/___/
_/_______

They like to rest on the top piece and bask in the incan. light, g0t a repti-sun 5.0 on the way. My RES colors are looking much brighter and is much greener than when I got him/her. The \"red ear\" was faded when I got the turtle and is now becoming more vibrant.

-Glenn Thiltgen
  • Information