What type of bulb?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

I recently bought a RES (i\'m just starting, yes i know, a newbie), and the pet store owner helped me set up my tank. I bought a 20 gallon tank, a fluval filter, basking area, gravel, and water heater. My question concerns lighting. The store owner suggest a Zoo Med Nightlight Red Reptile Bulb. I don\'t know if this falls under bask lighting or UVB lighting or both. Can anyone help me out?
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks
Last edited by Dragoon27 on Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Leave the lights on for 10-12 hours. I don\'t use a nightlight, but I\'m sure its ok to turn on. I wouldn\'t leave the uvb, and heat lights on any longer than 12 hours, Its just like in nature, the sun goes down.:)
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I\'d take the nightlight back. Turtles don\'t need a night light. The store keeper doesn\'t know what he\'s talking about.

What you need a is a full spectrum UV light (produces all UV light) - there are many barnds. One common one is Reptisun 5.0. You have that no more than 12 inches away and leave that on for 12 hours a day. In addition, you should get a basking lamp, a regular light bulb will do 40-60 watts (incandecent). The basking light should produce about 82F in temp. The UV light does not provide heat, but UV.

Cheers,
JJ

P.S. I live in Taiwan and I take my turtles outside for natural UV light, so I don\'t have UV light anymore. Just a basking one.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

I think the light bulb you have is perfectly fine. Its a new bulb that combines heat and florescent light. I looked up stuff on the internet about it and it sound good, although very expensive. It projects uva, and uvb up to 6 feet. I wouldn\'t take it back, try it out, and let us know how it works.:)
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again
Last edited by Dragoon27 on Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Yes I was talkin about the T-Rex. Keep us posted, I really want to know if it works well. And by the way it does sound like you got a good deal. Are you positive its the right light?

I really don\'t know much about the night lights, but I really think its unecessary. I don\'t use one, and my turtles are perfectly fine. As long as you keep the water heated and it stays at a steady temp, then I wouldn\'t even bother with the night light. Take it back, get a refund, you\'ll need all the extra $ you can get for the little plant tearin, gravel eatin, tank destroyin, escape artist. lol:)

Turtles you gota luv em!
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

yeah, its the right bulb. Went to another store and they had the right price for it. 74.99..ouch. Well I just changed the setup for my tank about a day and half ago, and since then, my turtles loves to bask under the lamp. Its so cute to see him stretch out his little legs and head and take in all the warmth. (side note, he didn\'t bask at all in the old tank setup). well i would recommend this bulb, get all the UV\'s and heat in one cool bulb.

Thanks for all the help lulumac and wu-gwei, you seem to have all the answers to almost everyones questions on this board. :)
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

What is the life of the bulb? How many hours or months does it say it will last? I know my basking light lasts 3,000+ hrs, and my uvb light I change every 3-4 months. Just wondering if the price would be worth it.:)
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Dragoon27 on Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fofusu
Level 1
Level 1

I think I\'ll be purchasing this t-rex bulb but I am unsure as to which version to get - spot or flood?

Is there a difference between the two? Is the spot better than a flood or vice-versa?

thanks
Dragoon27
Level 1
Level 1

Well i\'m am no expert on lights, but basically the spot light is more used for focused lighting like basking and such. While the flood light provides lighting over a greater range, which means the no one area will be warmer than the next, so I wouldn\'t recommend as a basking light. Its up to your turtles preferences and the configuration of your tank setup really. As for wattage, this determines the power (ie distance you should place the light from the turtle).

Hope that helps
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

Dragoon27, I misread your message. I think you\'ll be OK with your UV bulb. I didn\'t realise that it had UV and heat. Oops. Yeash, they\'re pricey.

I just don\'t agree with the nightlight though. :)

Cheers,
JJ :)
l8or g8or

I got the T-Rex bulb also, and so far it\'s working good for my turtles. I need to order another one. I like the idea of having only 1 bulb going on my tanks instead of 2. I feel in the long run it\'s worth the money. I ordered mine from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... CatId=7327 and paid $44.95 plus shipping. Remember: You MUST have a ceramic based fixture or your bulbs will burn out! Even regular bulbs.
  • Information