death b\'coz illness

Discussions about turtles.
obeh
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve lost one of my RES. he died b\'coz of illness that I don\'t know what illness was that.

there\'s something like scab under his beak. for three or four days he won\'t eat. he only sleep on the basking area. and then at the last night. he died under the water, peacefully, it looks like he\'s smilling.

what kind of illness is that? is that salmonella? it is safe for the other to live in the same water before and after his death?
:{
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

thats the saddest thing ive ever heard :(
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m sorry for your loss.

It\'s not salmonella. Reptiles carry salmonella in their intestinal tracts and in feces.

It\'s hard to say sometimes why they die. I had a perfectly normal RES die after I\'ve had them for a year.

Here is what I think. Most RES raised on these turtles farms never reach adulthood and they are bred to die. Don\'t blame yourself. I\'m sure you took good care of it.

JJ
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Hope not. As i don\'t want to lost them. :(
lulumac1
Level 3
Level 3

Wu-Gwei wrote:

Here is what I think. Most RES raised on these turtles farms never reach adulthood and they are bred to die. Don\'t blame yourself. I\'m sure you took good care of it.

JJ
How are they bred to die? Why wouldn\'t they reach adulthood when raised in turtle farms? Are you just saying that they never make it that far due to disease and improper care? Just curious.
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

This probably isn\'t related but my skinny pig (hairless guinea pig) is going to die soon. They are supposed to live about 3-5 years then they just die...it\'s not a good pet to have because they cost like 12 times as much as regular guinea pigs and live half as long :p It is possible to make a creature die at a certain age through genetics. It\'s a sad thing but it\'s all about money.
  • Information