New to Turtles

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kallahan77

I just recently purchased two small (about the size of half dollars) red sliders for my girlfriend for Christmas as she adores turtles. We've had the turtles for about a week and a half now and they don't seem to be eating. We keep their basking light and UVB light on for most of the day and the water temp is right at 80 degrees. I understand that there is an adjustment period, but why are the turtles not eating? We feed them turtle pellets and I'm wondering if that might be too much for such small turtles. I'd appreciate any help possible as the little guys have grown on me quite a bit as well. Thanks.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Try some feeder fish. Like guppies and golfish. If they are still not eating it maybe due to the stress of a new enviroment. If it continues as you know it will be vet time. Otherwise, just watch their progress and let us know how they are.
kloud
Level 1
Level 1

My turtle only ate brine shrimp. They seem to love it and they wont go neart the pellet stuff.
ralph
Level 1
Level 1

hello kal, =)
Ralph here.
don't worry too much, mine ate his food after weeks into my home. it may be some problem if they dun even eat after two weeks.
or u can try to feed them without standing there watching them.. i guess they r alittle shy initially. let them familiarise with the environment. hope this helps.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

Anytime thier environment is changed it can take a while for them to get adjusted. When we added the third turtle to our tank he didn't eat for close to two weeks that I could see. But now he has adjusted and eats normally. I was worried too, but I have seen this before when I moved them from the starter tank to the next tank and then again to the 60G tank. Even when I modified the tank with a basking level and ramp thier eating habits change for a bit.

One thing that you can try is washing your hands then hand feeding them. Take a small fish and knock it out and hold it by the tail with the head just in the water above the turtle. Chances are that it will eat it.

relax....

they take time, and it can take them more than a month at times, before thye get comfortable enough

try giving them feeder fish or boiled chicken.

put in the food at night, leave them alone, and check if they have eaten anything by morning....

Pet Turtle - Your Turtles\' Home
http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com
  • Information