RES Aggression

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Queens78322
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I have an RES. \"He\" used to be very friendly, and would only try to get my fingers when i tapped on the glass of the tank and moved them around(He thought they were food). But recently, when I take him out of the tank, he opens his mouth and runs and tries to attack me. Several times he has made a hissing sound. When he snaps down, it makes a clamping noise, so I do not want to get bit. I have heard some RESs can take a finger off. Why would my turtle be doing this? I have not done anything new to it. Same enviornment, food, treatment, etc. Is this a sign of some illness? I hope not. Also, I was thinking of getting a second RES, but then I read a bit more about Aggression. I\'ve seen photos of wounds on RESs, and hear that they can be killed by other RESs. Would it be safe to get a second turtle? I don\'t want to get bit, and I don\'t understand his recent Aggression towards me.
Thanks
Gail Berger

Queens78322 wrote:
Hello,
I have an RES. \"He\" used to be very friendly, and would only try to get my fingers when i tapped on the glass of the tank and moved them around(He thought they were food). But recently, when I take him out of the tank, he opens his mouth and runs and tries to attack me. Several times he has made a hissing sound. When he snaps down, it makes a clamping noise, so I do not want to get bit. I have heard some RESs can take a finger off. Why would my turtle be doing this? I have not done anything new to it. Same enviornment, food, treatment, etc. Is this a sign of some illness? I hope not. Also, I was thinking of getting a second RES, but then I read a bit more about Aggression. I\'ve seen photos of wounds on RESs, and hear that they can be killed by other RESs. Would it be safe to get a second turtle? I don\'t want to get bit, and I don\'t understand his recent Aggression towards me.
Thanks
I don\'t know about a Res but I had two sliders together for 5 years and then I had to separate them. Now I have two separate tanks. The aggression may have to do with maturity. I love my turtles but they are not cuddly pets. The older one (16 years) would take my finger off if I let her. The younger one (10 years) is friendlier. Mine are both female. Males may be more aggressive
  • Information