Turtle ate Sponge

Discussions about turtles.
OrespreerEDop

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:35 am

feel sorry for your loss..
I curious to know what makes u think that yr turtles ate the sponge. :?:
renaimburgia472

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:53 am

im rly sry for ur loss 2... it makes me rly sad.... seriously :cry: i dont know how you have it but im sure its not good... im soooo soryy!!!
vncweygbo

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:47 pm

:cry: I am so sorry for your loss! How devastating that she seemed fine and then went so fast. Can you post any pics of your setup? I'm not really clear on the sponge or why it was in there. It's possible for them to get parasites, but do you have any gravel in your tank?
vncweygbo

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Poor thing! That just breaks my heart! :(
vncweygbo

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Oh, like a loofah sponge.. .ok, that makes sense. I wonder if they treat those with anything before they package them? I'm not sure.
deesygirl

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am

Even if the sponge was not toxic the turtle could have eaten bit of it and become impacted. It has happened with plastic plants too. I would suggest removing the sponge altogether.

I would also suggest changing the top rocks in your basking area. The sharp edges of the bricks can damage the underside of the shells and lead to some further issues like shell breakage and even sores which can turn to rot. Use the bricks for bottom support but then put some smoother river rocks on the top.
  • Information