Hellllo

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
tatiyana1938

Tue May 23, 2006 1:04 am

Well i have recently been wanting to get a turtle and i currently have a 10g tank that i dont use anymore. Im looking for a turtle that is small and doesn't get really big. A turtle that i can play with out of water but can still hold a habbitat in a 10g, is this possible? So im basicly looking for help on how to get started with a turtle tank. And would it be classified as a land or aquatic? Im looking for a turtle that i can sometimes play with :D

sorry im new here. please reccomend me a species and a tank set-up.
deesygirl

Tue May 23, 2006 1:18 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

In all honesty a 10 gal tank is way to small even for a smaller speices of turtle. A little stink pot or musk doesn't get to big but they still should have at least a 35 gal. One of the best ways of setting up a system, because lights and filters will set you back a pretty penny, is to start out with a rubbermaid tote. These you can find at your local Wall-Mart or Home Depot fairly reasonable.
You need to invest in a good filter. Turtles are messy so the recommendation is one rated at twice your tank size. SO.... if you have a 50 gal your filter should be rated for 100. Even though you don't fill the tank completely with water. The next investment is proper lighting. Sunlight filtered through glass does nothing other than grow alge in your tank. You need to get a good UVB bulb in order for your turtle to process calcium. You can find lots of good posts on here, some with pictures :lol: , on setting up proper tanks for all types of water turtles.

Good luck and keep us posted.
tatiyana1938

Tue May 23, 2006 1:28 am

deesygirl wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

In all honesty a 10 gal tank is way to small even for a smaller speices of turtle. A little stink pot or musk doesn't get to big but they still should have at least a 35 gal. One of the best ways of setting up a system, because lights and filters will set you back a pretty penny, is to start out with a rubbermaid tote. These you can find at your local Wall-Mart or Home Depot fairly reasonable.
You need to invest in a good filter. Turtles are messy so the recommendation is one rated at twice your tank size. SO.... if you have a 50 gal your filter should be rated for 100. Even though you don't fill the tank completely with water. The next investment is proper lighting. Sunlight filtered through glass does nothing other than grow alge in your tank. You need to get a good UVB bulb in order for your turtle to process calcium. You can find lots of good posts on here, some with pictures :lol: , on setting up proper tanks for all types of water turtles.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh, :( thanks. Do you know how long i would be able to raise them in a 10g for? and would you reccomend running 2 filtration systems, one including an undergravel and one being over the back? Or should i just go straight in investing in a larger tank?

because i currently have both filters and tank at the moment.
karinasasisa1931

Tue May 23, 2006 3:18 am

Get a bigger tank -=p. Trust me you will like it and your turtles will enjoy it.
deesygirl

Tue May 23, 2006 10:19 am

You could use your setup for a few months. After that it would just be not very nice for your turtle. Not to mention harder for you to keep clean.
vncweygbo

Tue May 23, 2006 11:31 am

Welcome to the board, StRyKeR! I agree with deesy and James, you'll definitely want a bigger tank pretty soon. As for the undergravel filter, make sure you don't put any gravel in the tank that is small enough for your turt to swallow... it can cause major problems (blockage) or worse, death. Go for bigger pebbles/rocks so the turt doesn't run the risk of swallowing them! Good luck!! :wink:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed May 24, 2006 7:48 am

welcome to the board :) the tank could hold for some time if u build an outer basking area for the turtle. like one over it with a ramp or something. that will give the turtle more space to grow. it would be better if u get a big rubbermaid. they don't cost a lot and come in big sizes. the only disadvantage of them is that they're no so fancy to be put for decoration
  • Information