skin shedding a lot

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m worried about my juvenile RES. I took him to the vet a week ago to get his first check-up and she mentioned that he had a minor parasitic infection on his shell but that he was otherwise in good health. She recommended a half-hour daily antiseptic soak in Betadine or iodine for 10 days.

I had read on a few websites that Nolvasan was better to use than Betadine, so I ordered some off of a vet supply website and tried it. I used 1 part Nolvasan to 10 parts water, as recommended by a turtle care website. After 3 or 4 days I noticed his skin had started peeling. Two days ago I switched to Betadine, thinking that the Nolvasan was irritating his skin. His skin is still peeling now, but I can\'t tell if it is new skin or just the same skin that hasn\'t been fully shed yet.

He is otherwise very active, and his eyes are clear and not swollen. Is it possible that it was just a reaction to the Nolvasan and not indicative of another problem? Anyone have advice?
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

probably just regular shedding, if the vet recommended betadine, thats what I would go for!
  • Information