Just Introducting Myself

Welcome aboard! Come in and introduce yourself to the All Turtles message board.
BROOKLYN
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:01 pm

Hi. I can't really say I'm new to raising RES but I never knew much until I started googling and found sites like this one. I must say I have learned a lot by using this site. I have showed some serious neglect for my RES for over a decade unfortunately. I received my first and only RES that was given to me by my grandma when I was about 7 years old. Like any kid, my flame died out after about a week or two after playing with my RES. I gave up my responsibility to my grandmother and she's been basically raising it for years. Unfortunately, she didn't know much about raising turtles neither. Like her, I didn't know anything about basking, temperature requirements, tank sizes, lighting, and etc. We kept the RES in a rubbermaid plastic tub most of his life and just filled it with enough water so he can stick out his neck and breath. Changed his water everyday though since it wasn't filtered. We've (mostly my grandmother) been feeding him(finally figured it out after coming to this site and identifying his gender) Reptomin most of his life really. My grandma moved in with us for a period of time so she brought the turtle along. Of course, I was still neglecting it during this period. She finally moved out and I guess I had to finally step up and live up to the responsibility since I'm old enough. My RES is an estimate of 11-12 years old; starting when I got him as a hatchling. I'm really amazed that it even lived that long without much requirements mentioned in this site or similar sites. I decided that this is my lucky turtle. It's lived that long so it just has to be. I'm 19 now and I have decided to invest some money in really taking care of it. I've ordered about $150 of supplies including tanks and I will be receiving it shortly. Although my setup might not be the best for a 11-12 years old turtle that's 6inches in shell length, it will do for now until I learn more about RES. I have listed my tank specifications below. If anybody wants to give me some advice, welcoming, or even yelling for a neglect, please feel free. As of now, my turtle seems healthy from my perspective. Although I know that my turtle might have been bigger since it is over 10 years old, I guess the neglect does have its effect. No signs of sickness ever or that I know of. Eating like always. Pooping like always. No cracks or flesh exposures. He's shedding skin and I guess he's still growing since I took a more active role during the summer. Only a darker shade shell from what I assume of no real lighting. Unfortunately, I lend out my digital camera for the month to my friend on vacation. Once he gets back, I will post some pictures of the RES and you guys can judge his health status. I will also do a before and after picture of the turtle once I get the tank and everything else all setup. Hopefully, my turtle will be much better with the necessary requirements for his well being. Once again, I appreciate everything that a lot of owners in this forum have taught me.

29 Gallon Tank 30x12x18 (I know Small. I should have gotten something bigger but I am on a tight budget for this month from bills)
Aquarium Hood
Hagen Aqua Clear 50
Acura 1000 Heater
ReptiSun 5.0 Fluorescent Light
Repti Basking Spot Lamp
ESU Clamp Lamp
Plastic Plants that are 12inches (bought 5 but I doubt I will use that much)
Lizard Liner for the flooring

and for the basking area, I have decided to built one myself. I would be carving a triangular right angle shape wood that measures about 12(L)x11.5(W)x12(H) and covered with a layer of Lizard Liner as well. The basking area would be around 7x11.5 and the ramp would be around 5inches; leaving the turtle of about 18x12 to swim around in. I would most likely add about 9inches of water too. I have included a drawing of how exactly the basking area will look like.

Last edited by BROOKLYN on Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:10 pm

welcome to the board :) well now that u decided to take care of it i can only wish u luck. it's for sure a lucky turtle, maybe u'll have to consider that in naming it :wink:
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:20 pm

I agree, maybe you should name him Lucky the turtle :D

There is a saying that goes like this "Ignorance is bliss", I don't agree with this, especially when it comes to pets, the way I figure it, the parents are the ones to blame, they should take into account the lack of focus of younger children, I try to keep my niece's attention focused on her pet fish (R.I.P. yesterday), I kept at her to keep its aquarium clean, especially since those small things don't come with a filter, but eventually, the fish lost its battle for life, I wish he would've made a full recovery, but it just couldn't. :( It will be a very long time (if at all) until she will have another pet fish. :?

At least in your case, you had a grandmother that did her best to keep the turtle happy, please give her a big hug from me and thank her as well. It is not easy to take care of something you know nothing about, and since now you have decided to do right by your turtle, I have no hurtful comments about the past, I only congratulate you on your decision and I hope your turtle will live a very long life, if you have any questions, comments, or just want to share something, we will be happy to hear it. :D
Welcome to our humble home on the net. :D :D
contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 pm

So happy that you decided to improve your turtles life. :lol: I think it's funny how sometimes parents give animals as gifts expecting their kids to take care of them. It sounds like your grandma was one up on most and expected to get it back. Smart lady!
Just one thought on your tank setup- you said that you were using wood to build the basking area up. Keep in mind that some wood is treated and can contaminate the water, some have chemicals that can really hurt your turtle. Also wood rots. You may want to re-think how your going to construct the basking area. I used plexi glass glued (aquarium glue) togeth so that one created a ramp and one was flat to sit on, I covered that with the terrarium type carpeting and used PVC pipe for legs to support it, I also used a few suction cups attached to it for "just in case" support. This type of basking area also allows your turtles to swim underneath so they have more room.
Good luck with everything I hope your tank turns out nicely. :P
BROOKLYN
Level 1
Level 1

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:17 pm

contact444 wrote:So happy that you decided to improve your turtles life. :lol: I think it's funny how sometimes parents give animals as gifts expecting their kids to take care of them. It sounds like your grandma was one up on most and expected to get it back. Smart lady!
Just one thought on your tank setup- you said that you were using wood to build the basking area up. Keep in mind that some wood is treated and can contaminate the water, some have chemicals that can really hurt your turtle. Also wood rots. You may want to re-think how your going to construct the basking area. I used plexi glass glued (aquarium glue) togeth so that one created a ramp and one was flat to sit on, I covered that with the terrarium type carpeting and used PVC pipe for legs to support it, I also used a few suction cups attached to it for "just in case" support. This type of basking area also allows your turtles to swim underneath so they have more room.
Good luck with everything I hope your tank turns out nicely. :P
Hi Contact444. My uncle said exactly the same thing about my design and after researching about this, I have found the same results that you have given me. I have decided to just buy a turtle ramp for now (picture below). I might follow up on the design layout you have given me since I'm not even sure if this ramp that I bought will be stable. How much does Plexi-glass cost in general? I'm thinking about stopping by my local hardware store or Home Depot and see if I'm able to pick up some. If you can post a picture of your tank setup for me, that would be great.

contact444
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:58 pm

I got my plexi glass at home depot, I think it was around $6 for the amount I bought and they'll cut it for you so all you have to do is glue. :lol:
I'll work on getting some pics of my set-up.
  • Information