really really lost turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
audrey

i took this turtle as a favour to my sister who was pregnant and now i am totally in love with her, she is an 18 year old red eared slider and what has happened is that i let her out of her tank for runs around the house and a couple of days ago i took her out and when i went to find her a couple of hours later i could\'t find her anywhere, five of us searched every space in the house that she could fit into and even where we knew was too high or too small for her........it boils down to the fact that we think someone left the door open and she got out.......been combing the neighbourhood......i feel soooooo bad but can anyone tell me how long sliders have been known to live out of water? will she eat out of the water? shes never eaten anything ive tried to give her while out so i dont know.......its been pretty hot here but luckily if she is outside it has started raing again, i live on the west coast of british columbia.......has anyone been ABSOLUTLEY certain that their turtle wasnt anywhere only have then show up the next day???
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Let me get this straight--the turtle was let out to roam in the house and someone possibly left a door open long enough to allow the turtle to get outside??? Wow. Well, on the chance that she\'s still in the house, I\'d leave a large shallow pan of water out in the middle of the room where she was and a plate of some smelly food (sardines or tuna packed in water, even catfood) next to it. Some people also say to leave a light on at night. The water and food might coax her out if she\'s anywhere around. If she did get outside, is there any water nearby (pond, brook, etc)? They can go without water for a while, but how long depends on the temp and humidity (you did say it was raining). RES need to eat in water (to swallow), however, but they can go without food for a while as well. Do you live in a rural area? Have you talked with neighbors, put up signs? I did hear once of someone\'s turtle who did get out only to return a month later (with a leg missing). I\'d keep looking.
  • Information