Shy Red Ear Slider...Please Help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Prime
Level 1
Level 1

About a month ago my mother found a turtle in her pool. He was about the size of a quarter and all grey. He had three bumps down the middle of his back, and was quite the cutie. My girlfriend and I decided to set him free so we placed him on the back of the canal behind my mother\'s house. Two weeks later, he came back and was found in the pool again. THIS time, we took him home.

Once home we placed him in the tank (plenty of room to swim, and a basking area.) and he seemed very, very nervous. He was adjusting, so I understood this, but he also was not eating. I called a few pet stores and found out that this turtle is a Diamondback Terrapin. I also found out that they are compatible with Red Ear Sliders.

We decided to get him a tank mate since I have had red ears before and they are compatible. Once I got the Red Ear, the Diamondback seemed to watch, and learn from the Red Ear. The Red Ear would swim and eat and the Diamondback would imitate him. All was well.

Now all of a sudden, the Diamondback is no longer skittish around me and my grilfriend, but the Red Ear still is. I am afraid that the Red Ear is also not eating cause if we are around, he usualy likes to hide, so when I drop the food in he watches us leave. I know he is eating, but I fear that the Diamondback is getting the majority of the food since he does not fear us.

Anyway, thanks for reading the novel I just wrote. How can I get the Red Ear to trust/fell safe around us more?? Should I hold him everyday?? My biggest concern is because of his skittishness, he will be dwarfed by the other, since the other will eat and grow. What can I do to make him trust us more?? We both love him so we don\'t want to have to get rid of him. Thanks for the replies.
Prime
Level 1
Level 1

Well, nevermind this question. I went and caught some minnows earlier today and placed them in the tank. Seems both baby turtles thought these would be fun to chase. Also, the Red Eared Slider seems to be accepting the fact that we like to watch him play. So, all seems well. Thanks to all that gave this a look.
  • Information