Help, lost turtle!!

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
hayes2258
Level 1
Level 1

Help, lost turtle!!

Post by hayes2258 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:04 pm

I have a new RES turtle and he was in an outside pond. He seemed happy and only wandered a couple feet at most from the water. Today I came home and he is gone. :( We have looked in every plant and bush and he is nowhere to be seen. It is warm so do not think he burrowed anywhere. Would he wander far? Any chance he will come back?

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Help, lost turtle!!

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:18 am

He might come back. Are there water areas near your house. If there isn\'t a pond or body of water near by, he couldn\'t have gone too far. I hope you find him. You might consider getting a wire mesh or something to keep your turtles from getting out and other animals from getting in.

Good luck finding him. Keep us posted!

hayes2258
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hayes2258 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:59 pm

There are no areas of water near my house that I know of. I think he was stolen. GRRRR! I have posted signs in my neighborhood so if some kid took him maybe the parents will return him. I am off to see if I can buy any locally I just built a better pond out back where they cant be seen.

deesygirl

Post by deesygirl » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:30 pm

Turtles do need to be kept in a secure area. They will wander. They can also dig so you need to install flashing that goes down at least a foot into the ground. Chicken wire fencing is good to keep the turtles in as when they climb on it they start falling back in the pen. But it does not do much for keeping critters out. I like using hog wire with a chicken wire inside. Turtlees have also been known to climb 3 foot chain link, so I don\'t recommend using that.

They can also be taken by cats, dogs, birds (like hawks and owls)or even by critters like racoons.

hayes2258
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hayes2258 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:46 pm

He\'s home! So funny, I went and bought a male and a female with basking lights etc and when I got home he was in the pond..lol I\'m HAPPY! I am fencing the area in a bit here and making it safer, thank you all.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm

ImageImageImage

Great, I am glad your turtle made it back ok.:D

ImageImageImage

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5