Turtles and Snails -- Adjustment Period Needed?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Turtles and Snails -- Adjustment Period Needed?

Post by fsn77 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:35 pm

How have those of you with snails in with your turtles managed to get the snails to survive?

After reading through the posts on the board and seeing that there\'s at least a couple of people that have snails in with their turtles, I decided I\'d give it a try and bought two gold mystery snails last night. I introduced them into the tank after dark, thinking it would give them a better chance of adjusting before the turtles noticed them. Well, it didn\'t matter. My turtles seem convinced that the snails are a snack and won\'t leave them alone! :( As of this morning, they hadn\'t suceeded in killing or eating either of them yet, but who knows what has happened since I left for the day.

Will my turtles play with the snails for a few days and then just give up? Fortunately, the snails have been smart enough thus far to stay in their shell when the turtles come around.

I was hoping the snails would clean-up after the turtles--eat any leftover food and the little bit of algae that grows in the area near the basking lamps. I didn\'t plan on them being a snack!

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Turtles and Snails -- Adjustment Period Needed?

Post by yaya » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:16 pm

sorry but i never been able to keep a snail alive in the tank...(turtle eat them like crazy) the only thing i can suggest is if they be eat in less then a week try more then 2..like 6 or 8...last time i put a bunch,i got 4 lucky snails who manage to survive for 2 months... btw even if they hide in the shell ur turtle will figure then can crush the shell...mine is so \"pig\" she rip off the trapdoor to get them....

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:22 pm

My turtles just don\'t seem interested in the snails. I orignally got them as a treat, but the turtles never ate them. Now I have all kinds because they eat all the left over pellets and dead feeder fish. Your turtles might not go after a really big apple snail, but that too is a chance.
It its alive and in their tank, chances are the turtle will eat it. :)

fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fsn77 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:35 pm

One of my turtles had a great treat today, as one of the two snails was picked clean out of its shell. The second one must have found someplace to hide--I don\'t see any part of it anywhere.
Last edited by fsn77 on Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:19 am

I just got a lot of baby snails from the local pet store for FREE. The turtles are eating the small ones (shell and all!) and leave the big ones alone.