Lighting

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Posada
Level 2
Level 2

Lighting

Post by Posada » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:22 pm

I have the Zoo med repti basking spot lamp 75 watt that I keep positioned over the land. Is this sufficient enough for the UVA/UVB light and for heat on the land or should I buy the ceramic no light heat lamp and get one of those fluorescent UVA/UVB bulbs as well.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Lighting

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:42 pm

I use both the basking light with a Red Heat bulb and a coil fluorescent UV light, the coil light doesn\'t put out much heat for the turtles so you need to have a basking light as well.

Posada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Posada » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:47 pm

I finally got a thermometer and it says the temp on land is too cold. How can I raise the temperature.

Get a higher wattage of bulb? I have a basking light. Should I have that plus another actual heat lamp? Im really confused with the whole lighting/heating thing, I need it explained to me in layman terms.

slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by slidersroc » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:24 pm

well, you need two types of heating: a basking bulb and a uvb bulb. the basking bulb needs to put out heat to you could use a heatlamp as long as it doesnt get too hot. the heatlamp/basking lamp (same thing) will put out uva. a normal lightbulb/floodlight will work, thats what I use. you also need a uvb bolb. these are most often sold as a florescent type lamp bu normal florescent\'s wont work you need a specially marked one that SAYS it puts out uvb light. you can get one for 12-15 bux at a fishstore or online for about 10. goodluck, and if you need more help just ask.

Posada
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Posada » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:38 pm

Ok I get it now.

Im probably going to go out and get a fluorescent UVB light, which means I\'ll need a light fixture. How do I know which light fixture is the right size for my tank? Most of the ones I see are to cover the whole top part of the tank, is there a specific type or name for the ones that wont take up the whole tank? Because I have my filter and my heat lampon the top of the tank as well.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:57 pm

They make a coil type fluorescent bulb that is just a little bigger than a regular bulb. You can use a clamp lamp that you can adjust the height. what I did is (since I have mine in a cabinet, I put a 1\"x2\" piece of wood on the side of the cabinet so that I could adjust the clamp up or down depending on water level.

This is one kind of clamp lamp that you can use for the uv bulb, you will need a ceramic base one for the basking light:

Notice the clamp on the right, see the piece of wood?

I hope that helps:D:D