Can a turtle and a frog habitat together?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
JCaldwell1866

Can a turtle and a frog habitat together?

Post by JCaldwell1866 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:03 am

My 4 yr old found a Red ear slider and we brought it home. While I was out buying the aquarium for it, my 7 year old caught an american bullfrog. Can they co-habitat? They are both very small now, so maybe they\'ll get used to eachother and the frog won\'t eat the turtle. My main question is about weather or not it will work aside from the feeding.
We have a 10 gallon tank with about 3 inches of water and then two big rocks for them to get out of the water and for hiding. It is set up next to a window that gets sunlight most of the day, but not direct sunlight. Is this enough? Can I feed both of them worms and then the reptile food? I really don\'t want to drop a lot of money into this yet as it is very new and my boys are young...
What about the Viquarium Kit? Is that a good idea for both?

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can a turtle and a frog habitat together?

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:00 am

They absolutely cannot cohabitat!!!! I made that mistake and my american green tree frog ended up being a gourmet treat! I would be more worried about the RES eating the frog, not the other way around :)

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:11 am

obviously toxiceagle does not know about american bullfrogs. they get HUGE. i would be more concerned with the frog hurting the turtle. i wouldn\'t suggest keeping them together because a 10 gallon tank is not very much room for them. a 10 gallon tank should be the minimum that you have for a 1 inch baby slider alone. and as for the money, raising a turtle takes a lot of money .. so you might want to considering letting him back into the wild asap if you don\'t want this responsibility. the turtle can reach the size of a dinner plate and can live for more than 30 years! just to give you an idea of the commitment you will be getting into. also, once they are kept in captive you cannot set them free. (although i do believe if you\'ve only had the little guy for a few days it would be okay to let him back free.)

also, your turtle will need direct sunlight. sunlight filtered through glass does not give him the uv rays that he needs. i would suggest getting uv bulbs from the pet store along with a heat lamp for him to bask in.

i don\'t know enough about frogs to answer your questions regarding food. the reptile sticks and worms are fine for the turtle, though.

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:08 am

Ooops...i didnt see the american bull frog part....just the frog part.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:53 pm

i knew you knew better. ;)

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:10 pm

one of the member of this site do keep turtle with frog...but i don\'t know wich kind of frog...putting a wild animal with one from the pet shop increase the chance to kill both animal(the turtle not use to parasites who can come with the frog,and the opposite also apply)
but i\'m agree with Rachelmarie about beiing scared for the turtle..i don\'t know much about bull frog but i think they get huge really quick...in my opinion they probably gonna end-up fighting each other for the territory...
but ask Straykingfisher about \"reptilman\"(the guy who keep turtle and frog together)he might be able to answer ur question better then us...

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:16 pm

Last edited by rachelmarie on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:06 pm

Bull frogs are cute....i want one!!!! :)

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:32 am

Reptileman keeps african clawed frogs, I think that he keeps them with his turtle, not sure:D

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: Can a turtle and a frog habitat together?

Post by yaya » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:06 pm

[/quote]

fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fsn77 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:50 pm

I hope you have a good lid for your tank if you decide to keep the bullfrog. It will jump high enough to hit the lid and knock it around. You might end up with a bullfrog running around your house! :)