Milky water 1 day afer water change.

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Milky water 1 day afer water change.

Post by evilnissan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:14 pm

Sunday I cleaned out the tank, filter and filled with fresh water.

Put some turtle water treatment for wast and other bad stuff.

I leave the house to go to work sunday night and everything is crystle clear.

I come home this morning and it looks like some one spilled a glass of milk in it and and my Girl Friend her sister has over feed them again.

Im trying to also get some more gupies but every pet shop around doesnt have any right now.

What in the world would be causing the \"white out\"???

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Milky water 1 day afer water change.

Post by yaya » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:50 am

u said u just clean the tank and u also add the stuff to cycle it..i know almost nothing about cycling a tank but i read somewhere that,sometime, it cloud the water for a day or two...maybe wait 2 or 3 days just to see if it\'s get better...

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:43 pm

how large is your tank and how big is your filter?

i have a 10 gallon tank with a filter for a 40 gallon tank. you really need to have a filter that is for a tank 3x\'s the size of the one you have. turtles are dirty little things! you could do this by buying a bigger filter, or by buying another filter and using both of the filters together. make sure that your filters are causing circulation of water in your tank.

you spoke of a friend overfeeding your turtle. try this for a change: when it\'s feeding time, take a container (tupperware, gladware, etc.) and put half an inch of water in it. take your turtle out of the tank and feed him this way. this removes the dirtiness that feeding causes.

the only thing i add to my turtle\'s water is chlorine drops. this rids the water of the chlorine that tap water carries.

hope these suggestions help!

Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jericho199 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:49 pm

I live in an area with very hard water. A day or two after I do a water change, the water is white like that. It\'s prolly just deposits in your tap water. In a day or two the carbon should neutralize it assuming you have a strong enough filter.

evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by evilnissan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:46 pm

It cleared up, Im just going to start cleaning the filter a lot more and keep the water treatment in it.

I also need feeder fish, they seemed to eat the wasted foos and sheded skin and even the algy growing on the side of the rocks.

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:54 pm

I got an apple snail and a bunch of the \"mystery snails.\" They seem to eat a lot of the growing stuff in the tank. The apple snail moves along like a lawn mower and gets about everything it can get its mouth on. A lot of people use plecos too. They\'re those black fish that stick to the sides of the tank. Most pet stores have the snails and the plecos!

Congrats on getting the water under control. Its a job all in itself!

evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by evilnissan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:45 am

I think its just hard or funky tap water. Every once in a while I will get a glass of water and its pretty white and then get clear.

There happy now.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Good for you and your turtles, I have about 8 rosey red minnows and two big guppies, they help out alot with keeping the water clean, they have also learned to beg every time they see me, weird, isn\'t it???:D