Beach?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:44 pm

Since my \'guys\' laid an egg in the water - I have been wondering if I should have a sandy area for them. They only have a dock for basking but no place to dig. If I wanted to do this, how would I go about setting it up? My tank is 55 gal so room is not a problem. I would like to replace the dock with a sand pit but don\'t know how to do it - ideas please!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:58 pm

I have seen tanks that have a plexi glass divider that has water on one side and sand on the other. You can attach the divider using silicon. I believe that most people say 1/2 vermiculite and 1/2 sand. Dixeee sould be able to confirm that one.

A sandy \"beach\" area might not be necessary unless you want the turtles to reproduce. Even then, its probably best to remove the eggs and incubate them. You should be able to find other posts about breeding turtles though.

I hope this helps some.....:)
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:21 am

But don\'t they need sand to lay the eggs even if they need to be removed? Will the female lay the eggs in the water if there is no beach? My turts are never on sand. They have a dock for dry land and that\'s all.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm

Turtlemama wrote:
But don\'t they need sand to lay the eggs even if they need to be removed? Will the female lay the eggs in the water if there is no beach? My turts are never on sand. They have a dock for dry land and that\'s all.
no, they don\'t need sand to lay the eggs in even if they are removed. turtles will simply lay an egg in the water if there is no where else to lay it. if you were in labor, would you keep that baby in your belly?! ;)

if you notice that your turtle is going to be laying eggs, you could create a DRY sand area in your tank. this would take a lot of work, because you would have to divide the tank .. like mentioned above. you don\'t want your turtle to lay the eggs in the water (or in sand underwater) if you can help it. most of the time when turtle eggs are laid in the water they are infertile.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:49 am

on another board I heard of someone that had a female RES... that when she went crazy to lay eggs she\'d take her out and place her in a rubbermaid full of sand to lay them.
  • Information