New Owner Pics and Questions

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Rakkasan240B

New Owner Pics and Questions

Post by Rakkasan240B » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Any suggestions or critiques are more than welcome, I want to act as soon as possible so as not to endanger the health of Benjamin or his friends.
Last edited by Rakkasan240B on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coboot
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Turtle Names :)

Post by coboot » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:52 pm

I get the same problem. Petco sold me Turtle clear. It works a bit, but my water still get cloudy once she poops.

One thing I dont do is feed her in the tank. That cuts out a lot of cloud. I skim the shedding skin and I also change the half the water daily. I empty the home completly and clean the tank out 1x a week.

I hope someone has both of our answers.

Colleen

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New Owner Pics and Questions

Post by yaya » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:21 pm

i don\'t know about filter made for turtle but i know with a filter made for fish u need one made for at least 3 time the size of ur tank..i use to have 1 aquaclear 300 made for 30G up to 100G and my 33G fishtank was getting smelly and cloudy way to quick so i bought another one and never have problem since...but ur tank(Rakkasan240B) seem to be in a really sunny area,that would make algea growing faster...
both of ur enclosure look great! u can try more water,res love to swim..:)

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:59 am

welcome to the board:)

it\'s clear that the water is cloudy..try getting a stronger filter. this should work cz filters are usually made for fish and turtles are very messy for a small fish filter. it has to be 2 or 3x ur setup\'s size to filter well..also try the seperate feeding place method it helps too..

so good luck with little Benjamin.he seems to be enjoying his nice home:)

Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jericho199 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:56 pm

Not only are turtles extremely dirty, but comets are as well!

Goldfish are some of the dirtiest fish you can own. I\'m assuming you got them as feeders for your turtle, but goldfish have a tendancy to shed their slime coats (they have 2 layers, most fish have 1) which can cause the tank to become cloudy like that. Usually caused by stress (being in a new tank and of course having a turtle try to eat them.)

At any rate, make sure your filtration is sufficient. Try to double up (or more if you can afford it). If you have 20 gallons of water do a 45-50 gallon filter and make sure there\'s lots of carbon in it. Aquaclear filters are the best hanging filters. If you get a filter that has a sleeve insert type media (like whisper or top fin) buy some extra carbon and load the sleeve up with it.

Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jericho199 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:06 pm

To give you an idea of how much filtration helps, here\'s a pic.

80 gallon tank with a fluval 404 (80-100 gallon) and an aquaclear 70 (70 gallon).

I kept fish in this tank with the turtles for about a year then decided to do just turtles. Also you should still do regular water changes. Your water can look clear and still be filthy. When I had fish I did a weekly 50% change. With just turtles now I do a weekly 100% change. The carbon in your filter has a lifespan of about a month.

Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jericho199 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:11 pm

One more note :D

Another reason I like aquaclears is because the media is all seperate. Your carbon, foam and zeolite/biomax are all seperate, so it\'s easy to rinse out or dispose of the foam while keeping your carbon. The biomax that comes with the filter is meant for fish tanks, so feel free to throw it away and put a 2nd carbon or zeolite in there instead. The biomax is designed the house bacteria your fish need, so it won\'t benefit your turtles. Better to have more cleaning power.

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:42 pm

Jericho;
i own 2 aquaclear 300 but my problem is,with the water pressure my media come up in the filtre basket and make my water overflowing(back in the tank)before it get clean.. do u have any idea what i can use to keep the media in the basket?!? i ask at the petshop but they don\'t have a clue...
and do u suggest i put another carbon media instead of the \"amonia removal\"(the top one,don\'t remember the name)..
sorry if i\'m out topic...