Ok question about heaters ..

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

Ok question about heaters ..

Post by SkeetSkeetPinoy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:08 am

OHH and about how large to young turtles get within a month/half a year/year/couple of years? Red Ear Sliders that is.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ok question about heaters ..

Post by dixieee » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:02 am

welcome to the board:)

hmmm so u chose the turtle,,good choice! :D

for the heaters, check this http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/care.htm#Heating
i don\'t have experience with any cz my turtles live in a boiling area and they don\'t want heaters with them..

for the size,,there really isn\'t a way to tell cz it depends on gender and health..if the turtle was a female then she\'ll grow much bigger and faster than the male does..if the turtles has a better appetite then it\'ll grow faster than other..but beware of overfeeding (which u still don\'t have to worry about now:) )
anyways, science says: for a fully grown-up turtle,
Male 7\" - 9\" Female 10\" - 12\"

ok so good luck with ur new guy and keep us posted:)

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:53 am

The danger with the submersible heaters is that a turtle might bump into it and crack it, but that would be when it has grown up enough to be able to crack it, so if you get a baby one, you will have a few years before worrying about them breaking it, I have been thinking about putting an aluminum pipe around it, I still don\'t know how to do this, and for most people here, may not be allowed to touch power tools, so if and when I come up with a plan I will let you know:D

purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by purplem3pursuit » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:20 pm

i bought a heater today which is submerible... but the casing is shatter proof.. therefore no reason to worry about them cracking it.. its actually pretty strong.. i felt it when it was out of the tank and i was impressed.. now lets see how well the 250w heats my 75 gallon tank.. lol

toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Post by toxiceagle2007 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:21 pm

Undertank heaters are usually pretty cheap. One for a ten gallon tank was like $10. They don\'t work all that well for heating water though. All it is basically is a heating pad with a sticky side so it can stick under the tank. I found a little heater at walmart for $7. Its made of a temperature resistant plastic. It seems to work pretty well. I hope this helps!

SkeetSkeetPinoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SkeetSkeetPinoy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:55 am

HAha thanks you guys. That was a big help, and yes i\'ll update y\'all when I get my turtle. Hopefully by wednesday ..

But anyways .. back to the size question. Let\'s just use a hypthetical situation .. let\'s say I had a baby female turtle that was healthy and well fed. ABout how much would that grow in half a year? one year? Just curious for an estimate. K thanks anyways guys.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:25 am

u welcome:)

well ok i have some estimates since i got a female..she\'s 6 months old now and about 2.5-3 inches..if she keeps growing in the same rate, she\'ll be abot 5 inches in a yr..but still it depends

ok so good luck and don\'t forget the updates:)