HELP.....confused on lighting

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
kkimmy37
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:13 pm

I am confused and hope someone can help me. I bought what I believe are red earded sliders last September. The place where I bought them sold me a light for them (bulb). That bulb burnt out so I went to buy another at a different store. I bought 2 of them at this new store. One for day, and one for night. The ones I bought are called \"reptile rays\" and are made by GE. They say they are heat lights. They say they provide overall heat to the terrarium (mine is an aquarium....does this matter?), and it says it creates a balanced spectrum of visible light. These don\'t look like the light I had before, but are these ok? I surely don\'t want to risk my turtles health because of the wrong light. They have a fake log they climb on to get out of the water, and a fake rock thing they climb up on also. I guess what I am asking is...Are these lights sufficent enought for basking and for the uv rays that they require. Thanks so much....sorry for the lengthy question.
kkimmy37
Level 1
Level 1

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:22 pm

I am new to this and hope I can add this by hitting reply....I forgot to mention that my turtles do have a heater in their home (aquarium) also. Thanks.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:22 am

welcome to the board:)

if ur turtles have red marking beside their eyes then they are red eared sliders (RES\'s) :)

for the lights,,i don\'t know a lot about lightings cz mine are exposed to natural sunlights so i\'m sorry i can\'t answer this..for the temps, to make sure why don\'t u check them by a thermometer? there are ones that stick to the glass and in that way u can make sure they are always ok (70\'s F)

good luck with ur guys:)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:29 am

As far as light goes, you need a basking lamp and a UV light if you turtles aren\'t exposed to natural sunlight.

Both lights you have are basking lights. They provide the visible spectrum of light, but not the ultraviolet (UV) light needed. You will have to by a special light bulb to provide sufficient UV light. Make sure it says it provides UV-A and UV-B light. These bulbs are a little pricey, but will last about a year. A knowledgable pet store employee should be able to help you.

I hope this help! Good luck!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:53 pm

They say they provide overall heat to the terrarium (mine is an aquarium....does this matter?),
Terrerium and aquarium are pretty much the same enclosure, the only difference is that one is a land enclosure and the other is a water enclosure, like terreriums for iguanas and aquariums for fish and aquatic turtles, that is the only difference.
kkimmy37
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:21 am

Thank you Everyone for your help and advice. I am going to go back to the original store where I bought the first light and get another one of those. I was afraid mine was just for basking, I am so glad you all let me know. The turtles love the new ones, I think it is because I moved the basking log up closer to these new bulbs(LOL), I just wanted to make sure they were getting what they need. They do become part of the family don\'t they? I just love my 2 boys and would be devastated if anything happened to them....Oh, they are red eared slidders. Once again, thank you all so much.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:05 pm

so welcome to the family of sliders:)

glad to hear ur turtles are happy..good luck with the little guys:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Yeah, welcome to the slider family, nice to know your turtles are happy, and watch out for the begging, they do that alot, it makes you feel guilty when they start begging, it seems like they are always starving, but don\'t give in or they will get chubby:D:D
kkimmy37
Level 1
Level 1

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:42 am

Oh, they are sly with the begging aren\'t they...i didn\'t know that and I did give in. One is twice as big as the other, and they were the same size when i got them! The little turds! Ok, now I have a headache and another problem...kinda still the same problem though. I drove 65 miles today trying to get the correct light for these guys....the one they sold me when I bought them just had the one bulb for heat and the light rays. I have them in a 20 gallon long aquarium. Now I can\'t seem to find the right bulb! Another pet store sold me a florecent light bulb that is just for the light rays, since I do have a heat light (just heat) that I have been using while trying to find the bulb like I had before...but they didn\'t have the florecent fixture...which the bulb for it is 15\" long...and I can\'t find one anywhere. I have looked in the ZooMed site, because that is where the first bulb I had came from, but it sounds like those will get too hot. Can anyone please direct me to a site that has what I need...A UVA/UVB and heat flood light like bulb that would work in a 20 gallon long tank. The tank is heated by a submersible heater...do to the fact I don\'t want them to get cold at night when the light is off. I appreciate everyone\'s help...this has become my favorite site. Thanks.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:39 pm

I got my UV coil fluorescent light at Petco(where the pets go:D), and as for the basking light, I was using a Red Heat 75 watt bulb, but after buying two, one popped and the other turned out to be a bad one, so I started using black light bulbs, they give off a dark bluish light, they don\'t seem to mind, they bask just fine, and I found them at a dollar store for a dollar each, I later found them at another type of dollar store 3 for a dollar, so I have been using them for about two months now, still no complaints.:D
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:16 pm

I started using black light bulbs, they give off a dark bluish light, they don\'t seem to mind, they bask just fine, and I found them at a dollar store for a dollar each, I later found them at another type of dollar store 3 for a dollar, so I have been using them for about two months now, still no complaints.:D
I\'ve heard people say on this site that black lights are bad for your turtle\'s eyes. I\'m not sure on that. But I would check.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:57 pm

i suggest to stick with what zoomed and other brand specialized in reptile,have to offer...it\'s a little bit more expensive but u make sure u got the good accessories for healthy turtles!!:D
Last edited by yaya on Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information