Confused

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
camonsour
Level 1
Level 1

Confused

Post by camonsour » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:33 pm

I have 2 concerns, any opinions or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

So I did all the research before I went out to buy my RES. I looked at 100 websites, and read a few books and talked to a few people. Some resources said a tank at least 20 gallons, most said if you can\'t have that, get a smaller tank. I bought a small tank being that I don\'t have a lot of room. Now I read everyone on here saying get a large tank. Is it alright to have a small tank for now until I can get a larger tank when it becomes crowded?

Also, how do the filters work, do I need any tubing? Do just keep it submersed in the water and clean it when required. How do they work.

Thanks for the help.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Confused

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:30 pm

I have read that 10 gallon tank is the minimum, and I have also read that a 20 gallon is the minimum, I myself, I have a 10 gallon tank, I use two cascade filters, they have a pipe that goes into the water, two clamp lamps(one for UV light and the other for basking light), and a floating dock.

The reason people say to get a bigger tank is that the turtles will eventually grow to be about 14-16 inches in length, and a 10 gallon tank would be too small, and if you have already a huge tank or a pond, you won\'t have to keep updating when they need it.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rachelmarie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:01 pm

i use a 10 gallon tank as well. i have two turtles in the tank and they have more than enough room to swim around in. most of the time they stick near each other, anyway.

there is a rule that goes like this: for every inch of shell, you should have 10 gallons of water. i personally don\'t believe this is necessary. sure others may have a different opinion, but we all can have our own. i believe as long as the turtles have enough space to move, look comfortable and (if you have more than one), can get away from each other with plenty of room to do so .. the tank is fine.

although, as they grow you will need a bigger tank to keep up with their needs. but, i know you know this.

i will be upgrading soon. only because i can (i\'ll be getting a bigger place) and because my biggest little guy isn\'t so little anymore and i know he will continue to grow. i figure if i start now by the time he needs a bigger home it will be all ready for him.

as for filters: i use a canister filter. changing the filter is extremely easy. you take it out and throw it away and put a new one in! and that\'s that. otherwise, you just plug it into an outlet and suction it on to the side of the tank or hang it to the side. it\'s as easy as that. keep in mind when you buy a filter that you should buy a filter that is made for a much larger tank than you have. turtles are filthy animals and will dirty up a small filter in no time. i have a 10 gallon tank with a filter for a 40 gallon tank and have to change the filter every 2 weeks (only because i like the water to be crystal clear.) it could last a lot longer than that and still keep the water fairly clear.

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:13 pm

Hi and welcome to the board...
the rule(like Rachelmarie said)is 10 gallon for every inch of shell in lenght(u have to draw(in ur mind) a strait line from the beginning of the shell to the end...that rule include ur basking area(not just the water)...personnally i think a 10 gallon is good for a hatcling but it will be too small for a juvenile(1 to 3 year old)
My girl is 1 and a half year old and she\'s already 5 inch in lenght... i have to put her in quarantine in a 10 Gallon and she doesn\'t have any room for swimming. u can see that she missing some good exercises and she\'s sad...for the beginning ur tank will be ok but u gonna have to upgrade soon which at the end is way more expensive and u end-up with a bunch of tank and accessories that u don\'t use anymore...
u said that u have a lack of space but a 55 Gallon fishtank fit on the top of a dresser.. i don\'t want to convince u of anything and i\'m not judging,i just want u to know my opinion about it...
sorry for the long post...(btw,a good way to increase ur enclosure is to build the basking area on top of ur fishtank,which allow u to fill the tank to is full capacity)

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:54 am

well nothing more to add so welcome to the board:)

camonsour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by camonsour » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:27 pm

thanks again.
Last edited by camonsour on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:06 am

smart thing:)