suggestions for tank

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

suggestions for tank

Post by SQUIRTLE » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:24 pm

hey guyz, i just bought a 75 gallon tank (only cause it was cheap) and now i\'m gonna build a new tank for all my turtles. I have one 7 inch and two 2 inchers. the tank measurements are 4 feet across, 16\" high, 18\" deep. I\'m gonna also upgrade my fish tank into my 30 gallon (18\"x18\"x18\") which housed my large turtle before. But thats anther story. So this thing is huge, and my small turles are gonna have like an ocean to swim in. I\'m gonna have a divider in the middle for a few months so that my large turle can get used to my 2 smaller ones but will remove in later. I will have 2 basking areas, one for my larger turtle and one for my smaller ones. This leaves me LOTS of space left. I\'m planning to put a big arse drift wood in there and some plastic plants. Anyone have any cool suggestions for what I can do to make this tank look kooler or things that my turtles can play around with? My style is more of a natural environment, so I don\'t really wanna put tacky items like opening and closing treasure chests or \'no fishing\' signs. But this is open to anyone with any type of suggestions. I\'m stuck on what I should put to fill up the large open space. thanx in advance!

just for fun this is my small 10 gallon fish tank that as you can see is running out of space due to major plant growth.

http://www.sfu.ca/~willw/tank.JPG

SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

Re: suggestions for tank

Post by SQUIRTLE » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:42 pm

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 am

yay congartulations:)
lucky u i can\'t wait to get the new tank but i\'m waiting until we move out first:( (or at least my sis does,hmmm)

anyways now i got what u meant by nature environment..i like ur tanks and i love the plants in there..i suppose they need seperate care from the fish(which makes it double caring)

i don\'t know what\'s more into nature than wood but i\'ll keep thinking and looking around for u..

btw, u gave me an idea for my tank about the treasure chest and the \"no fishing\" sign,,i like it thanx:D

well,,can\'t wait to see the new home sweet home:)

SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SQUIRTLE » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:27 pm

hahaha anyways have fun with the treasure cheasts or the \'no fishing\' signs dixee... ur sucha babe (@_*)
Last edited by SQUIRTLE on Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:22 am

the setup i have hardly fits the basking rocks and i never had fish b4 that\'s why i have no ideas + such things are not common in here so it is difficult to see some setup somewhere and think it is cool..and i was already planning to have a pirate setup and got a sunken ship that\'s why i liked the treasure box thing

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:51 am

On the back of my tank I had a mirror so they could see themselves and also make the tank look bigger than what it was, but I replaced the mirror with some pictures that I copied of marine scapes, I taped them to the back and sides of the tank so when they look to the back and sides they will see aquatic plants and some fish, it makes the tank look alot better, I took my pyramid out because it was getting kinda crowded in there.

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:49 pm

what about a cavern in the bottom??u could make it with rocks(make sure to glue them together,don\'t want to squish the poor thing)or for a less natural look u can use a clay pot...and if u want to keep the \"roman look\" u can use those marble pot for grindind herb(it\'s a mortar and a pestle) as for playing,i think the fish is the best entertainment...:D
Last edited by yaya on Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SQUIRTLE » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:26 am

oooo ooooo yaya, thats purdy kool idea... i should make sum type of cave of wonders for them....maybe lava rocks... for them to hide and play! thanx! actually it\'ll be hard to keep my white theme going. I just bought a very big piece of drift wood today.. about 2 feet across.. I know I\'m not supposed to use sand for the bottom but i\'ve been using white sand for Bobby\'s tank for a few years alrteady and it looks really nice so I\'m gonna stick with white sand

stray, having a background picture is purdy kool too...i\'ve done the mirror thing and that\'s a great idea...except the tank is like 4 feet across, so i\'d have to buy a super long mirror or buy a big piece for the background paper.

Dixie, my friend bought a really expensive big resin pirate ship for her fresh water puffers and she got so exicted when she got home. She put it on the ground to open the top of the tank...stepped backwards and stepped on it and broke it in half =( ...and dun\'t worry, your turtle will get big soon then you can tell your sister to move and get a larger tank =d

This set up is gonna take a pretty long time for me to finish... in the mean time i\'m gonna make a takashi amano type of tank! har har

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:38 am

my friend bought a really expensive big resin pirate ship for her fresh water puffers and she got so exicted when she got home. She put it on the ground to open the top of the tank...stepped backwards and stepped on it and broke it in half =(
Wasn\'t it supposed to be a wreck anyway?:D:D

SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SQUIRTLE » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:03 pm

stray - lol, ya she was like crying cause it costed like $100. Welp, my stand in finally ready to go now so i\'m gonna start setting up my tank... all i have to put in right now are the rocks, sand, coral, big drift wood and the basking areas.... still need something more. I wish you can have a planted turtle tank, that would be awesome! My duck weed is growing like wild flower right now so i\'m gonna leave in in something like a breeding basket in the turtle tank so I can have the filtration abilities without it getting everywhere. Plus if it grows too much I can feed it to the turtles, they love duck weed!

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:18 pm

That\'s great, post a picture whenever you can:D

100 dollars for a ship?, was it full of gold bullion? , that\'s the only way I would pay that much for one:D:D

SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SQUIRTLE » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:05 am

$100 Canadian...haha if it makes it looks better....but it was huge... like 2 feet across 1 feet high ... pirate ghost ship, with torn sails and everything....hahaha but ya me and my friends laugh when she purchased that

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:48 am

lol that\'s cool but i wouldn\'t do it..i prefer buying something better for my turtles with $100:)
the one i found was for about $3..well,any cheaper??? i don\'t think so:D

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:39 pm

$100 Canadian...haha if it makes it looks better....but it was huge... like 2 feet across 1 feet high ... pirate ghost ship, with torn sails and everything....hahaha but ya me and my friends laugh when she purchased that
Just tell her not to feel bad, now it is really authentic, most of the ghost ships are mostly broken in half:D:D:D

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:27 pm

i\'m sorry but i have to ask...what \"purdy\" mean? it must be a slang cause i can\'t find it in the dictionnary.. and what a takashi amano type of tank??sound like japanese garden but i would like to know please...
thx in advance

SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SQUIRTLE » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:50 pm

lol stray.. yea thats what I told her... she should just stick both ends out of the gravel and say it was suck cause it hit an Iceburg (@_*).

dixie... very expensive but it was arilly rilly big one. lol...but i still think it\'s too pricey

YaYa...sorry i say purdy...but i mean like \'pretty\' in a hill billy typa way... Takashi Amano is a very famous Japanese Aquarium designer, which does the most prettiest rim-less tanks with the perfect balance of plants and fish so that the plant get nutrients get from the fish poop, the plants filer all the poop, and the CO2, then gives off oxygen for the fish. Then the cycle goes on and on in perfect harmony. Some of his perfect tanks need no filters either! woot woot. Try to look him up in google or something, I\'m sure You\'ll find something about him. Not too long ago he had a exibition in Seattle and like designed a whole awesome tank in like 15 minutes. I\'ll try to find the link for you guyz.

extra fact- The nick name for Japonica shrimp is \'Amano Shrimp\' ..... guess where the nick name came from? =d

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:14 am

i check out some of his pictures and i like is work...thanks!:)

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah, they are very nice tanks, but I don\'t think the plant life would last very long with turtles in it:D, they would probably be dug up in a matter of minuits:D:D:D