Question about lights

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Pumpkinpie12021
Level 1
Level 1

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:47 pm

I need a light bulb for my turtle tank and I know where to get them and what kind. But the bulbs never have a stand, where do I put it? Also the lid to my turtle cage it plastic, would setting the lightbulb with the casing (I dont know wut it is call but it is usually metal and goes around the lightbulb to reflect in better) right ontop of the lid melt it, or is it not that strong?
Plus i need a way to heat the tank... would this do it for me? I plan to release them in the sunmmer, but after 6 months my 3 YBS turtles havent grown. Aren\'t they supposed to be bigger than a little bigger than a quarter at this age?
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:11 pm

pumpkinpie12021 wrote:
I plan to release them in the sunmmer, but after 6 months my 3 YBS turtles havent grown.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO SET THEM FREE?!?!?! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MARBLES?!?!?!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:17 am

did u buy them or were they rescued? if u bought them it is not recommended that u set them free cz they won\'t survive..
for the bulbs there are those clip lamps that hang to the sides of the tank easily..i don\'t think the rubbermaid would melt but u may want to check..

btw the heat lamp only heats the basking area and not water too..

about the size of ur babies,,they never grew or they are just growing slowly? neither of them got larger from the others? they don\'t usually grow at the same rate but at least someone must have outgrew the rest..what r u feeding them? is everything normal with the little guys?
Pumpkinpie12021
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:29 pm

We are releasing them because we resued them, and want to return them to the lake they were near to help to populate the area. The only thing that they will eat it celery leaves or lettuse, (which I found out is not really good for them). They tried to nibble a little piece of cooked ground meat, but they didn\'t like it. Also the pellets we bought (that are designed for babies) were just ignored, and they got mushy, dissolved and dirtied the tank. I\'ll have to try that clip on light too. I took apicture of them with a quarter for size, but I can\'t figure out how to put it on....... Sorry for the long post again.
Pumpkinpie12021
Level 1
Level 1

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:04 pm

http://pak05.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/yg ... ivuSx8U%3d

sorry the name is so long, but there is a site with the pics of my tutles. That is not their setup... I had just finished cleaning out their tank when I took the pictures. Click on them to see.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:05 am

sorry i couldn\'t see that one too..

i think it is ok to release them since they were rescued..maybe a wise decision too

since i\'m not able to see the pix i can\'t know their sizes but i think they are hatchlings bcz of the quarter u mentioned..so they are supposed to eat food other than veggies..anyways if they feel better like that then as long as they\'re eating it\'s fine..good luck with the babies..i really hope i could see them
  • Information