Opinions Please

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

Opinions Please

Post by Stoshie » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:27 am

Maximized swimming space.........

Turtles are in a 55 gallon tank. I know the rule is 10 gallons for every inch of shell length. I assume this allows room for a basking area. Suppose there is no basking area in the 55 gallon swim area. Any suggestions on the minimum size tank for 2 adult males?

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Opinions Please

Post by dixieee » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:09 pm

i don\'t know the sizes of ur guys but it can be obvious from the way it looks..i mean u can determine if it is enough if u see them swim freely

BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BXsLilPrinCesS » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:21 pm

I kind of don\'t believe in that 10inch rule but it\'s cool, I think as long as your turtles can turn aroound and dont bang into eachother they\'re ok, and if theres enough room for each of them to have their own space. Ive seen your tank in another topic and mayb if you take out that huge log thing they use to climb onto the basking area and try something a little smaller that may work to give more space in the tank.

mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mariza » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:24 pm

Thinking that as long as two turtles \"can turn around and don\'t bang into each other\" means they have enough space really isn\'t providing them with adequate living conditions. Two turtles in such a small space will quickly dirty up the water, meaning frequent cleaning or they\'ll spend a lot of time drinking their own urine and swimming in their poop. And any filter made for such a small space (and amount of water) isn\'t going to be much of a help.

Turtles, especially RES, are territorial and chances of aggression are much greater if their tank size isn\'t sufficient. Would you like living with someone else always in your face?

As for the basking area, your turtles need one if they\'re baskers (RES, painteds, etc.) The 10-inch \"rule\" is really a helpful guide to gauge how much space a turtle needs.

How big are your turtles (Straight Carapace Length = the length of the shell from the back of the neck down to the tail not including the curve of the shell)? The minimum size tank for your turtles depends on their size. (Are they still growing?)

I haven\'t seen your tank, but if you want to maximize space, get some corkbark, which floats and allows for swimming underneath. Or build something yourself. Some people have also built basking areas above the tank with a ramp to give the turtle access to it.

Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stoshie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:19 pm

I have an underbed storage container set on top of the tank. They climb up for basking. The have plenty of room right now. I was just wondering about what size upgrade I will be getting in the future. I plan to build the basking area on top of the tank to maximize swimming space with the upgrade, just like I have for them now. I was wondering if there is \"a rule\" when not considering a basking area in the tank.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:50 am

i don\'t have any experience with tanks yet but i think it is something relative..and as u said the rule applies for the basking area too so without it the numbers should shrink..
that\'s what i think