Another Fluval Question

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Another Fluval Question

Post by TurtleMama » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:40 pm

I have a 404 and all the info states that the output needs to be above water level - why? I have it under water and it seems to keep the bottom of the tank cleaner by forcing the water to move to the other end and the intake hose. Is this ok? I cleaned the filter yesterday and was surprised that only the sponge pieces need cleaning. The baskets were clean and it had been a month since it was cleaned last.
I have 2 res in a a 55 gal tank and take them out to eat.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Another Fluval Question

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:14 am

I really don\'t know, I can only guess that the filter was meant for fish in fish tanks, so I figure that they say that you should put the output above the water level so that upon entering the water it will mix some oxygen with the water to assist the oxygen level in the water, kinda makes sense, doesn\'t it???:D

TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TurtleMama » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:37 pm

Yes, that does make sense. I was just wondering if it would effect the filter\'s effect. I can\'t imagine why that would be but how do you explain such a clean filter with two turtles? All other filters that I have used get discusting after a week and this one was still clean after a month.

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:10 pm

I don\'t think it matters with a turtle, it is probably the same effect whether you put it above the water line or under, either way it will circulate water and get it to the cleaning side, that is about all I can help you with since I have one of the side clinging ones:D

purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by purplem3pursuit » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:13 pm

it might be for priming the filter.. when priming it might suck water through the outlet.. but eithe rway thats getting water into the system.. so i dunno..

Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jericho199 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:54 pm

I keep mine a few inches below the water level. One thing I\'ve noticed, if you keep the outtake below water, when you shut the valve to change the media in the canister, the pressure keeps the tubes filled with water. THis way when you turn it back on, you don\'t have to pump it for 5 mins to get it flowing again.

Also, if you\'re just setting it up, put both tubes completely underwater and let them fill up. Once the tubes are full, close the valve that attaches to the canister. Leave the intake and outtake underwater and attach the tube to the canister. Open the valve and turn it on and you shouldn\'t have to pump :D

purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by purplem3pursuit » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:17 pm

oh another thing.. when u have the exhaust under water, ur going to be running the motor harder because it won\'t be as free as flowing out in the air.. therefore u may burn the motor up sooner.. just another thought..