Help with setup

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Jovigirlnj

Help with setup

Post by Jovigirlnj » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:05 pm

I have three RES they are all about 3 or 4 inches long. What is the ideal setup for them? I have them in a smaller size tank and the water keeps getting so green. Is someone could please tell me what size tank it ideal also how much and deep water do they need? How much dry land? How many hours of light do they need? They are currenly in a basement with a UV light on them for about 10 hours. Also what is a good filter? Sorry so many questions but I want them in the proper setup and everytime I go to a pet store I get told something different every time!! Thanks for any info you can give me!

Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Help with setup

Post by Captain_Turtle » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:05 pm

Start out with a bigger tank so they will have room to grow and still be able to swim around when they are full-sized.
1/2 to 1/4 of the area should be land. Gradually give them deeper water so they will get used to it and not drown.
Watch Enterprise on UPN channel 13 @ 8:00 p.m. if you have Time Warner Cable.

Do all of this, especially the last one.

dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dixieee » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:30 am

first of all welcome to the board:)
2nd thing is that i will never listen to any pet store..no offense but most of them are really ignorant except very few so why take the risk when we can get better resources (the Internet)!

3rd,,everything seems fine but for the space..the rule says u need 10 gallons/inch of shell length..that means for 1 turtle that is 4 inches u need 40 gallons..for 3 turtles 4 inches each u will need a 120-gallon tank..i know this is too much..it\'s the best case but still gives them plenty of space where they can grow..and if u can afford getting the biggest size then do it so u don\'t have to upgrade later..

u are welcome anytime and we\'re glad having u between us:) don\'t worry u can ask as much as u want cz i know we all enjoy reading and answering q\'s

booboo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by booboo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Turtles grow throughout their life. Do you have space available. A slider needs at least a 20 gallon tank to be happy at a younger age and a bigger tank as an adult. Expect to invest in a 40 gallon tank for most turtles, and some females get too big to keep indoors. Outdoor setups can be constructed easily, as simply as a children\'s wading pool, but they need to be in a safe place, secure from predators. Do you have a room where you can keep such a tank or an outdoor setup?

Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Captain_Turtle » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:34 pm

Don\'t forget to watch UPN at 8:00!!!

Jovigirlnj

Post by Jovigirlnj » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:08 pm

Thanks for the help - I dont have Time warner cable to watch that program.
I cant put the turltes outside - it gets to cold in the winter and I have 5 dogs that would try to eat them!!!
Ok - so I now know that I need a bigger tank than what I have now. I only have them in a 20 gallon tank half with water and half land - they never go up the ramp to the land. The water is about 7 inches deep and is CONSTANLY GREEN!!! Is this because it is too small?? Once I get a bigger tank what kind of filter and light should I put on it? We do plan on getting a 120 gallon tank soon - I want to make sure I get everything right, I cant tell you how much $$ I have wasted on filters and lights over the past few months. I am sure you will be hearing from me often!!! Thanks so much!!

yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Post by yaya » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:13 pm

and u don\'t talk about a heater in ur water.do u have one?or are u able to keep the temp high enought for ur turtles?
Last edited by yaya on Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.