drift wood out of a lake

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:01 am

does anybody know how to prepare the drift wood befor putting it in the tank
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:41 am

In the past, I\'ve always boiled driftwood, which will help kill a lot of things on it that you probably don\'t want in your tank. It\'ll also get out the tanins--that brown color that comes out of the wood and stains your water. When you think you\'ve boiled it enough, boil it some more. If you don\'t boil long enough, you\'ll still have tanins coming out of the wood and end up with tank water that is stained a light brown color. To get out all of the tanins, you\'ll probably have to change the boiling water several times so you can see your progress. The tanins aren\'t going to hurt anything in your tank (might mess with your pH a little depending on your tank size), but most people prefer to have clear water.

Just as a caution... if the driftwood is partially submerged and partially out in the air, it could still rot.
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:21 pm

hmmmm boiling seems to be the way to go ummm could u plz explain what you mean by it will rot if its half in half out becoz i would like to use it as a basking log because it keeps the heat better than a rock and how do i prevent it from rotting or will i need to find a new piece every few weeks
fsn77
Level 2
Level 2

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:24 am

Also, the thicker the piece of wood you choose, the longer you\'ll have to boil it to get out all of the tanins.
Last edited by fsn77 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:52 pm

ok that makes sence well we only found long bits so we will have to chop them up
  • Information