Adopting my first turtle

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
sourmilknightmares
Level 1
Level 1

To make a long story short my best friend was given a turtle (red eared slider) from her little Sister\'s aid. No one realized how big these turtles get or how much they need. The turtle is currently housed in a large-ish critter keeper with a little dish he can submerge (by not really swim) in. Due to the small container, she has to clean the water dish out everyday. She\'s just about sick of that and due to size constraints and one rambunctious little girl they cannot get another tank so I get to inherit the poor little turtle. Here\'s were it get interesting. I\'ve never owned any sort of reptile before. The closest I have gotten to a reptile is an African Dwarf Frog, and that\'s an amphibian, a very low mantentience one at that, so I don\'t think she counts. I\'ve spent all evening on the computer researching Red Eared Sliders and I\'d like to go out and purchase supplies tomorrow. Due to cost constraints I will probably be using a clear-ish rubbermaid, the biggest one that I can find. The reason I\'m getting a rubbermaid is because I don\'t have the cash for another large tank. I\'m a poor high school student, buying this stuff on leftover birthday money. I\'ve kept fish for about 3 years now and am used to worrying over pH, the nitrogen cycle, etc. Do the same things apply to turtles? How do I know what size light to get? And how often should the tank be cleaned? Any help for a new time turtle owner would be great!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

do u still keep fish?if they not expensive fish(and freswater one)u can keep them with the turtle..(u just gonna loose some once and a while)(turtle s\'gonna eat them if they are smaller and/or too slow)
just a suggestion but for ur question about ph,this is from austin\'turtle page;
Most people\'s tap water has a rating of about 7.5-8.5.This will work for most North American species,but when get into the more exotic species,then you will have to pay close attention to the ph levels.With the North American species,you can get by with lowering the ph levels to about 6.2 to assist in preventing shell infections,but if you own a softshell,i would not go any lower than 6.5 for fear of burning the softy.
about ur nitrite ect,the same then fish apply,u have to neutrilise ur water..
hope it answer ur question.
sourmilknightmares
Level 1
Level 1

I don\'t have any small tropicals. Right now I just have my 3 goldfish, which are my babies, my gourami, and my 2 bettas. None of which I would like to see eaten. I was, however, thinking of putting some guppies (fancy) in with the turtle and then (s)he can much on the hoards of fry guppies are known for. So the tank should be cycled for the turtle? I guess it has to be if I\'ll have guppies in it. I had another question, but now I\'ve gone and forgotten what it was. I guess if I remember I\'ll ask.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

sourmilknightmares wrote:
So the tank should be cycled for the turtle? I guess it has to be if I\'ll have guppies in it. I had another question, but now I\'ve gone and forgotten what it was. I guess if I remember I\'ll ask.
it help a lot if u cycle ur tank to keep it clean..that\'s what i do..i think ur other question was about change of water..i\'m really not too sure about that but if i remember well u suppose to do some partial change every 1 or 2 weeks..and a complete one every month or 2..and i think that might change depend of the filter u use...
sourmilknightmares
Level 1
Level 1

Woo! I just remembered my other question! It was about filters. Under Gravel Filters, as they worth it? I read that they can be used and I was wondering if they are actually worth it. They are cheaper, which in my situation would be great.

About changing 100% of the water once every month or two. Why? What is the point in doing a total water chnage if you are already doing a 25%-30% water change once a week? If you do a 100% water change yu are killing your cycle. It would then be kind of pointless to try to cycle the tank because it can take up to two months for the good bacteria to colonize. Sorry if I\'m coming across as obnoxious. I uess I\'m having a hard time letting go of my fishy way of thinking. It also seems like it would one heck of a pain to have to take out and refill 30+ gallons that often. Sorry, there I go again.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I, myself am an undergravel filter user and yes, you can use undergravels for small turtles but big turtles tend to chew on them. they also work well if you have numerous animals in one setup. does that answer your question?
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

if money is an issue, i would use a cheap filter for now. i got one a while back for nothing more than $10. it works like a charm and does what it needs to do. that will decrease (dramatically) the amount of times you\'ll need to change the water.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I\'ll go with what the new senior said lol!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
do filters work for rubbermaids too?
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i just said what i read,personnally i\'m leazy and it\'s probably 3 month/maybe 4 that i didn\'t change the water(even partially)and my filter(2 x 300 aquaclear filter in a 33 gallons whit 25 gallons of water)and it doesn\'t smell foul or nothing...i think the fact that i have a microbio environment help a lot...like i said u not suppose to do that but i have a lack of time and i do the best i could even if i\'m leazy...what i post it just what i read...u still free of ur action...
Last edited by yaya on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sourmilknightmares
Level 1
Level 1

Dixieee, Yeah, you can use filters with rubbermaids. I know a lot of people in the goldfish hobby end up using rubbermaids because either they didn\'t know how much room goldfish actually need and bought to many to begin with or just couldn\'t resist bringing another little creature home. Tanks are wicked expensive unless you can find someone selling them cheap second hand.

This turtle is tiny! His (or her) carapice is maybe 1 1/2\" -2\" from end to end. For now, I\'ll probably use an under gravel filter. In my experiance, they make less noise.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
do filters work for rubbermaids too?
i would imagine so! but, there are probably limitations to what you can buy due to the height of the rubbermaid (generally i wouldn\'t think the water would be all the way to the top, which some filters require).

mine just suctions to the side and it only needs 2 inches of water (of course i use a lot more water than that) but, the point to that is that the whole filter does not have to be submersed .. which is a good thing if you have a hatchling who doesn\'t necessarily need a ton of water yet.

the suctions make it possible for it to stick to any hard surface. i\'d definitely try it out!

like i said before, i ran into walmart one night when i was completely sick of changing the water everyday .. bought a $9-$10 filter and it has worked so well that i\'m still using it. the replacement filters are like $5 for 4 of them, but really .. it helps so much and it\'s worth it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx u helped a lot:)
i\'ll have to go on a trip to the pet market in the couple coming days..i finally had the revision week for finals so i won\'t waste it..it\'s all for my turtles:D
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

aquaclear work also with rubbermaid, probably all hanging filter would work with a rubbermaid...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx yaya:)
the prob is that we don\'t have those brands in here..but i\'ll look for similar ones..thanx again
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Check with some vendors on the internet, some of them will accept check or moneyorders for their merchandise, they will hold your item until they recieve the payment, that is how I got my ringtone converter/composer program.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

where would i find anyone that ships to here?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Send them an e-mail telling them where they will be shipping to and they will tell you if it can be done or not. If not, try another vendor.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hmm yeah why not,,thanx i will:)
  • Information