Need Advice on A Setup

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
T. Turtle

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:30 pm

Hi, I have had my RES for about 6 months he is about the size of a cupcake. I currently have him in a plastic aquarium that i bought at petsmart (i think they call a tri aquarium is was made for reptiles) it has steps built in with a land area.

Now when should I take him out of this set up and then what size of tank would I need? Should I go big for the long run or keep upgrading?

Also any suggestions of filters, thermo stats, and so on and so forth. I want to figure out how much money I would need.

Thank You
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:23 pm

but its fun too :D
Last edited by reptileman on Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T. Turtle

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:44 pm

From what I have read already I can see it will cost lots of money so I figure bigger is better but I am not sure.

So I should ask would a tank bigger than 20 gallons be good for my turtle lets say like a 45 gallon since he is so small ?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:50 pm

yes, and that setup will go pretty long before you have to upgrade again. and I\'m sure little turtles love to explore big places if you know what I mean! :D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:33 am

welcome to allturtles:)

i suggest getting the biggest tank possible not to keep upgrading..not healthy for ur pocket and ur turtle..they don\'t like changing environments too much
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:12 pm

Get the biggest tank that you can. For the size he is now, I\'d suggest at least a 30 gallon (29 gallon usually).

You have some options on filtration. The stronger the better. Canister filters are the best if can afford them (shop online they\'re MUCH cheaper). Fluval brand I can recommend personally but a lot of people also use MAGNUM, eheim or Rena. Just DO NOT USE A SUBMERSABLE FILTER!!! They\'re not powerful enough and since turtles are so dirty, they often clog and burn out the motor.

Also, either Zoo Med or Exxo Terra (can\'t remember) makes a small canister filter designed for turlte tanks. Can\'t remember the name of it though. It comes in a black and green box. Seems to work pretty well.

If you choose to go with a hanging filter, I\'d recommend Aquaclear. They\'re one of the most efficient ones that I\'ve come accross and very quite and very little hassle.

As far as heaters, rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon of water. So 50 watt heater for a 10 gallon tank etc. Keep his temp between 75-80, just never lower than 70 or hotter that 85.

Make sure you give them lots of water and space to swim around. Water should be at least as deep as the width of their shell. More water the better. For a basking area, just make sure it\'s at least enough for the turtle to get his entire body out of the water. Either place a large rock or something in the water or, if you\'re concerned about space, you can buy a floating dock. Make sure you have basking lights over the dry areas.

If you can, have an Ultraviolet light on the tank too. It helps ensure proper digestion and vitamin systhesis.

That\'s about all I can think of now, I\'ll type more when i get home.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:48 pm

for ur fluorescent light DON\'T USE a ultraviolet light the ray emit by that fluorescent are too strong for the eyes of ur turtles and they can end-up blind from it..use a reptisun 5.0(or higher rate,like 7.0) or iguana light..about ur filter keep in mind that they are made for fish and not for turtle(which are way more messy)so use a filter rate for 3 time the size of ur tank(if u have a 30 gallon,use a filter made for at least 90 gallons)if u use a filter who\'s ouput is like a waterfall(like aquaclear)just a little reminder about the noise they make(usually u don\'t put water all the way up in ur fishtank,for ur basking area,so the noise increase with the drop of the waterfall effect)i have 2 aquaclear 300 in my fishtank(33gallons)they do a great job but it took me a while to get use of the noise(it\'s that bad)i have to increase the volume of the tv cause of it...lol sorry for the long post..
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:26 am

yaya wrote:
it took me a while to get use of the noise(it\'s that bad)i have to increase the volume of the tv cause of it...lol sorry for the long post..
haha, i can relate! especially when the filters are getting close to needing a change and the water is flowing more freely.
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:42 am

Running water is pretty much all I ever hear. All my fish and turtle tanks are in my bedroom. I find it relaxing personally.
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:05 am

for ur fluorescent light DON\'T USE a ultraviolet light the ray emit by that fluorescent are too strong for the eyes of ur turtles and they can end-up blind from it..use a reptisun 5.0(or higher rate,like 7.0) or iguana light
This sounds a lil confusing. Reptisun blubs ARE flourescent bulbs. I think what yaya means is that you need a bulb specifically designed for reptiles, rather than one you\'d buy at say a hardware store. Technically, Blacklight blubs have sufficient UV output to meet a turtles needs, but the type of light that comes out of it is far less natural and can damage not only your turtles eyes, but your own as well. Reptisun bulbs by Zoo Med or Reptiglo lights from Exo Terra (Hagen) are probably the best lights you can find in pet stores.

Reptisun :
http://www.zoomed.com/html/fluorescent_lamps.php

Reptiglo :
http://www.hagen.com/usa/reptiles/produ ... 1650020101

Hope this helps.
turtle_lover01

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:40 pm

it helps me alot to read the quotes.i had i turtle before but he died i didnt know what to do at first.but this time my mom is helping me.i pick up turtles that are about to get ran over and keep them for a few days.i love turtles they been my favorite pet ever since by dog came up to me with one.he didnt hurt it your anything he just put it in my hand.i ask my dad if i could keep it and from that moment forward i love turtles.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:19 pm

sorry,i just read back myself,and it does sound confusing...when i said don\'t use a ultraviolet i mean blacklight(that\'s the problem when u translate english into french)(ultraviolet is the name of the blacklight in french)so sorry again..
Last edited by yaya on Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:19 am

Some black light bulbs do have ultraviolet rays, that is why I was using one a while ago.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:10 am

turtle_lover01 wrote:
it helps me alot to read the quotes.i had i turtle before but he died i didnt know what to do at first.but this time my mom is helping me.i pick up turtles that are about to get ran over and keep them for a few days.i love turtles they been my favorite pet ever since by dog came up to me with one.he didnt hurt it your anything he just put it in my hand.i ask my dad if i could keep it and from that moment forward i love turtles.
isn\'t that a sweet dog? a turtle rescuer!! welcome:)
T. Turtle

Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:52 pm

Ok a friend told me he could get me a big tank for cheap from his uncle but it was used. How would you go about cleaning it ?
Last edited by T. Turtle on Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:49 pm

Somebody suggested vinegar, I think it was yaya, that and a sponge with a scruber side and plenty of elbow grease.:D:D
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:55 pm

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
Somebody suggested vinegar, I think it was yaya, that and a sponge with a scruber side and plenty of elbow grease.:D:D
thx but that wasn\'t me it was Mariza...

Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:52 pm

Ok I have my tank up and running. Now I am using a Fluval 3 I have it underneath the floating dock( the med zoo one) side ways tank is between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Now there is alot of air bubbles on the sides all the way around. Is that normal? or do I have the flow to high. I have it on max. Another question since I have cats I cant use the screen lids It has to be the normal lid or the cats will fall thru the screen. How do I set up a basking lamp? I do have a heater in tank with a guard in it. But I dont think I can fully submerge the heater right?

Thanks for any help
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:26 am

first of all congrats on ur new setup..we would like to see it if possible:)

i think bubbles are from the filter but am not sure cz i have no experience with filters and heaters,sorry..

for the screen,,i can\'t really get why u can\'t use screen lids bcz of cats but maybe u can put the cover (screen or whatever) on top of the basking and UV lights..well ok it may not be good looking but there must be a \"not that bad\" way for it..

Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:32 am

The cats love to sit on the screen to get that heat. All of the screens I saw are to weak in the long run to hold their weight. Also all of that hair would for sure clog the filter. I was just wandering if there is a way with the normal fish hood to be able to set up a heating lamp. Anyone have pics or suggestions?
ajlovebug

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:03 pm

I have never had a turtle before and neither has my family. I don\'t know how much water I should put in the tank, all I am going to need and I need alot of help. By the way I am getting a Red Ear Slider Turtle. Can you tell me another website that may have more information? Please!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:32 pm

One good site that I know about is Valerie Haeckey\'s (mostly) water turtles: http://www.turtlecare.net/index.htm

She has alot of information on things to look for, feeding, setups, and so on.

Another one is:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/articles.html

They too have alot of information.

I hope that helps you out.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:58 am

welcome to the board:)
good decision i say and smart of u to collect info b4 getting involved,,ur turtle will appreciate that believe me:)
anyways u\'ll find too many info. around,,what i can add is the water level must be deep enough to cover ur turtle\'s shell and make it easy for it to get back to the right position if the turtle flips on its back cz u won\'t be always around to help..
another site u may want to check is www.austinsturtlepage.com
i personally like it and it helped me a lot..

feel free to ask anytime..we\'re glad to have u between us:)
  • Information