Smell

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m having a hard time keeping my turtle\'s tank from smelling. Right after I clean it, it\'s fine, but the next day it smells again.

I have a 75gal aquarium with a Fluval 4+ filter. The water is a little under 2/3 full. I only have one turtle (RES about 6 1/2 in.) I\'ve been using Turtle Clean, but it doesn\'t seem to do anything. I have no gravel on the bottom. The tank is partially in front of a window, and partially in front of the wall.

Please give me any suggestions you have. My mom is sick of smelling the turtle tank. I clean it the best I can, and often, but like I said, it only takes about a day for the smell to come back.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

How much does the package say that the gallons it can go up to. For a 75 gallon tank you will probably need around a 100 gallon tnak filter. And carbon cartridges help reduce the smell greatly. My best bet would to get a fluval canister filter. Thats what i would get for one of those. Putting a cover on the tank is also helpful like a glass cover or even making your own plexi glass cover. ;)
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

I don\'t remember how many gallons the filter is for. I know it was a lot. I have a glass cover for the top (there is a separation in the middle so there are two glass top pieces that can be opened separatedly), but I leave it open so she can get air. I guess it could help contain the smell. I\'ll see about getting some carbon cartridges. Thanks for your help.
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

What does it smell like?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Be careful if you put on a cover. With underwater heaters and heat lamps you should NOT use a glass or plexi cover. Those types of covers will prevent the heat from escaping and might make the water get too hot. You don\'t want to cook your turts!
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

undergravel filters work suprisingly well. they keep water clean and they keep the tank from getting smelly to the point where you want to camp outside! lol
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Get a fluval 404 or a magnum 350 (i like fluvals others dont) undergravels will do nothing but give the turtle another chew toy.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Make sure the filter has activated charcoal in it, the activated charcoal absorbs the smells, kinda like baking soda in your fridge.:D
  • Information