Turtle Eating His Dock!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
alishagail
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,
I just got a Turtle Dock a couple of months ago when I got my slider Rocky a new tank. Its working out great - Rocky has a lot more swimming room and doesn\'t have any trouble getting on and off of it. But the problem is Rocky is trying to bite off the edge, and he has started to succeed. He\'s bitten so much off that there is part of a metal rod sticking out the end. I see a lot of it floating in the water, so I don\'t actually think he\'s trying to eat it.
So, I have a couple of questions: Does anyone know what Turtle Docks are made of and if it will hurt my turtle? And, does anyone know why my turtle would be biting the dock in the first place?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alisha and Rocky
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

turtles bite anything but good he\'s not swallowing it..
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

I don\'t know why your turtle is biting the dock, but I\'d remove the dock ASAP. You have chunks of unknown material in his water and a metal rod \"sticking out\". Not safe. Is there another kind of dock you can try? (How big is your turtle? Has anyone else had this problem? I just bought one of these docks....)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

there are those plastic ramps i saw on the web. they seem fine and they aren\'t covered with anything so the turtle will not have the chance to bite anything
but actually i use and prefer rocks and blocks..they are natural so won\'t harm the turtle
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

I bought this stone dock for my turtle. As i know that snappers will bite something soft i got a tough one. It is a long slender piece of rock, about 3inches wide and about as long as a ten gallon tank. I bought it for ten dollars and it look as like it has fake moss on it and it looks plain grey with suction cups. Your turtle was biting at it because it was soft and plyable. Probably playing in his mind, you might consider gettin him a ping pong ball for a toy to play with incase he does want to play.
alishagail
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the help you guys! Just a quick question about the ping pong ball: I\'ve always wanted to get my turtle something to play with but I had no idea what I could get. Would I just drop a ping pong ball in the tank and let him go at it?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

They get curious so just bump it in the nose with it and drop it at the other end of the tank trust me heeeellllll go crazeeee with curiosity.
  • Information